Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
OT my son's new Personal best fish, twice! >

OT my son's new Personal best fish, twice!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OT my son's new Personal best fish, twice!

Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default OT my son's new Personal best fish, twice!

My Son Jacob has a new baby and getting him out to fish has been tough. The water level is up again but I had to get him into some fish. He didn't get to go on the catfish trip and all my other sturgeon trips didn't work with his work schedule. Well I set up a date that I was on vacation and we made it work. His first fish was a good fish. It was strong and had a pile of fight, his new PB fish!

Well we caught a few others and it was looking like we needed to get going and then he hooked the Kraken. A few minutes into the fight this fish went for a jump that we got on video. The fish was fully in the air!!! It was amazing! I knew it was an awesome fish but I didn't know how much. Jacob has only got one chance to fish this year and he made up for it fast. Here is his new PB fish. This one even beat his alaskan monster halibut. He was pretty excited and I was too. Ron

Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

very cool. I like the idea of fishing something that large and especially out of that little boat. What pound test line do you use?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

We use 50 pound mono on a couple of rods and on the rod he used he had 80 pound braid with 50 pound mono. All of our sturgeon are catch and release only, so they were released unharmed. Ron
Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Spike

Those are some awesome catches! It looks like a ton of fun, especially from a small craft.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Cool! Thanks for sharing. I like OT post when they have to do with the sporting world.

My Son is 25 and has moved far away. I know how much a trip like this means to a Father.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

How long does it take to land one of those?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a 4 foot one maybe 8 minutes. For a 5 foot one 10 to 15 minutes. 6 foot 20 to 25 minutes. 7 foot will run you 45 minutes and an 8 foot + will go 50 minutes +. If you hook a 7 to 8 foot fish in the tail or belly you got your self 1.5 hours no motor. With a motor you can use the electric motor to fight and you're back to 1 hour.They fight hard. Here is a video of a very close call.

http://youtu.be/iUIfTAOZx2w?list=PLH...6c5NlloH3jd5wb
Old 08-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
Cool! Thanks for sharing. I like OT post when they have to do with the sporting world.

My Son is 25 and has moved far away. I know how much a trip like this means to a Father.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

We are not allowed to target sturgeon on the Ottawa River but we tend to catch them incedentally while fishing for walleye. A ton of fun on walleye tackle 8 lb test and 7' med spinning rods.

Congrats on a great fish!!!

HA
Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Great video.was there ever a time when you could keep them and if so I wonder if they were good to eat. One fish that big, 2 turkeys and a couple of does and you would be set for bout a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.