Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
OT my son's new Personal best fish, twice! >

OT my son's new Personal best fish, twice!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OT my son's new Personal best fish, twice!

Old 08-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

We used to be able to keep them. I think oregon still has a season on them. I think it was some time in the 1970's they stopped harvest. We can still fish for them but CPR only. The fish hatchery I work for has them and I have eaten them. They are a lot like halibut for taste and texture. They don't have bones, they have cartilage. Ron
Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron,

There are a lot of folks who fish but not a lot of folks who truly understand the power that a large fish has. I went out for shark twice last fall with my buddy on his boat out of Montauk Long Island, 25 miles southeast of the Montauk lighthouse on the Atlantic. We caught mostly Blue sharks in the 9-12' range with one particular beast of about 13 plus that took four of us taking turns on the rod about 45 minutes just to raise it up where could see it and then another 15 minutes at the surface to get it in where we could release it. We had an 8' Mako shark up at boatside that literally EXPLODED into a violent roll when my buddy's friend stuck a gaff in him just ahead of the tail so he could lift it up for my buddy to get a tail loop on him. When it was all said and done, that shark left us standing there with our jaws hanging as we watched him swim away as if it was a routine event for him. Long story short...you just can't understand the power and speed of these creatures until you've been there and personally done battle with them!

Side note:
My 56 year old carcass was able to wrangle a 10' Blue shark by myself in about 25 minutes and I was whipped for about the next half hour!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 08-06-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Ron,
We had an 8' Mako shark up at boatside that literally EXPLODED into a violent roll when my buddy's friend stuck a gaff in him just ahead of the tail so he could lift it up for my buddy to get a tail loop on him. When it was all said and done, that shark left us standing there with our jaws hanging as we watched him swim away as if it was a routine event for him. BPS
This is why my buddy had a rifle in the boat and would shoot them when we got them on the side of the boat. They are very dangerous and you gotta shoot them or let 'em go!!! There power is amazing for sure!!!

__________________________________________________ ______

Hey Ron, thanks for the video. Very interesting and enjoyable!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I went fishing when I lived overseas. I had went to Marjorca Spain on holiday (as they love to call it). We went out on a party, drinking, fishing expedition for the day. Was a lot of fun. We were fishing for Amberjack and some other fish. One of the girls on board hooked an at least six foot shark, don't know what kind. But when they got it to the boat, they just cut the line and let it swim off. It sure was fun watching her try to land that thing.