Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Rio Grande at the range >

Rio Grande at the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rio Grande at the range

Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rio Grande at the range

A couple of years ago when I was Pawn Shop snooping ( I've cured myself now ) I ran across a .504 Rio Grande by Ft. Worth Arms. I held off for a good long while, however, in a moment of weakness, I offered a low ball price. I believe it was $100 for a never fired gun with nice steel rings & bases. It's a pretty cool gun with a top line Bell & Carlson stock, chrome trigger guard and a Bold Trigger.

The slam fire action is unique and performs flawlessly.

Today was too hot for sabot shooting and I wanted goof around. I put a up a 3.5" group with 70 of T7 3F and then went to 80 grains. I'm shooting .504 No Excuse bullets with no wad. Shot number 5 left the group but it was clear pull on my part. The trigger is set at about 10 lbs. ( need to find Bold adjustment instructions ) and I flinched before I touched it off. As you can see, 1-4 piled right in there. I think this gun deserves a little more attention.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

You got a heck of a good buy and on very good old rifle. They really do work well.

This is what I have on adjusting a Bold...

Old 06-29-2014, 04:09 PM
1874sharpsshooter

What you got is basically a White knockoff by a former White employee. It's a good find , especially for that price .

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 06-29-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Sabotloader,

Any chance I could get the pdf or a link for those trigger instructions? It's exactly what I need.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Very nice rifle. And a very nice find. I would have grabbed that in a heart beat.