Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
OT not BP but it was a fun day of sturgeon fishing >

OT not BP but it was a fun day of sturgeon fishing

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OT not BP but it was a fun day of sturgeon fishing

Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default OT not BP but it was a fun day of sturgeon fishing

Boy was it a great day to be back in my boat. I got to sugar cube creek before daylight and it was 31 degrees. I got ready and waited for the sun to come up both for warmth and navigation. I haven't went fishing since October. I got into the hole and dropped my rigs. Two hours later I get a hook up and man that fish was strong. It towed me from one side to the other and then all of a sudden it was gone. I guess I didn't set the hook hard enough. So I took the time then and sharpened my hooks and went back at it. 3 and a half hours later I get another hook up. This time I set the hook hard and set it again just to be sure. A half an hour later I got my fist look at it, and shew was a big old girl. She went back down and I had to haul her back to the top. I got her on my lap and she was as long as my rod 7 foot. She beat the crap out of me.

Well I went back to the same place and 30 minuted later I am hooked up again. This one was between 5 and 6 foot but it felt like a ton because I was still whipped from the last one.
In all it was a great day. Ron
Old 03-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a terrific fish. And to do it the way you do would be real excitement. Congratulations on a great fishing trip.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Spike

That is a great fish!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

MAN!!!!! That would be really cool to try! I've fished all over the Northeast and caught a lot of nice fish but to fight something like that from a one man pontoon would be awesome.

BPS
Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you seen my Video's??? These fish like to jump and will do a tail stand right in front of the boat like 3 to 6 feet out. That is exciting. Here is my Youtube page. Check out big air sturgeon. Ron

https://www.youtube.com/user/idahoron?feature=mhee
Old 03-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Ron, I have watched the vids and it's amazing that you're fighting these HUGE fish from a small personal craft that most guys are probably using for trout. I have a friend that has a 28' deep V and have been out for Shark in the Atlantic off Montauk Long Island. Last time out we hooked a monster 14' Blue shark that took four of us passing the rod 45 minutes just to get him up to see what it was and how big. One hour and ten minutes later we got him boatside and released him.

BPS
Old 03-12-2014, 03:36 AM
Dominant Buck

some amazing videos there. I really enjoyed them.