Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

209 primer issue

Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default 209 primer issue

I was able to take the new to me MK-85 Hunter to the range yesterday. This gun has a bare 209 breech plug and appears unused. After the 1st shot, the spent primer was lying loose in the chamber. With subsequent shots the spent primer remained in the plug and grew tighter, until on #4 when it was not removable with the primer tool. I had to use a vice once home to extract it. Thought I might have to drill it out!
Anyone use a bare 209 conversion with a solution for this? Lube with grease? Enlarge primer chamber?

Pyrodex RS
Winchester 209w
Old 03-03-2014, 06:17 AM
Dominant Buck

One thing I do that might help. Take some Q-tips with you to the range. Dunk them in a cleaner and swab out the inside of the primer pocket. Some primers produce a blow back carbon that forms on the inside of the primer pocket. The Q-tip removes that. It works for me. Or you can try some different brand primers. For normal powders I use the W209 Winchester primers.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never used a bare 209 setup in a plunger gun, so I can't really help you there.

I have used the red disc 209 setup once in my MK, I gained nothing and it was more hassle than #11's, so I swapped back to #11. To me, the #11 setup and knight plunger guns are a fantastic fit. They go together like PB & J haha
Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

I have also moved away from the the 209 primer in a plunger gun, especially a bare primer setup.

This picture shows some of the reason I have moved away.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

I would not mind going to #11 system as I have plenty of caps. Unfortunately, that would mean both a new breech plug and plunger, or machining the taper on this plunger flat. For now, I'll use Cayugad's Qtip suggestion and also try the T7 primers..... and continue wearing shooting glasses. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

I think the T7 209 primers are about the same dimensions as the W209 primers, I would check and see which primers are smaller, maybe some one else will know.

Last edited by d.winsor; 03-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can't get it narrowed down to work the way you want with the bare primer, you can buy a bp for cheap, especially the older versions (with the slot head).

I know a couple guys that have machined the cone off the face of their hammers - one guy did it with a dremel. Some guys even use the cone hammer, though it will likely ruin your nipple. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, "the older version with the slot head", so I'd need to find and buy the BP tool also