Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
It Ain't Black Powder... >

It Ain't Black Powder...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It Ain't Black Powder...

Old 02-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

another .44 caliber black powder. But this one would be hard to conceal.

This would be impossible to conceal, and its even hard to carry. I ended up with a shoulder rig that lays across the front of the chest holster. But when needed it seems to do the job.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Cayugad, how the heck did you get that B-Square mount to stay put on a .44 Mag?

I had one on my .41 Mag Ruger Bisley and the sucker was good for about two cylinders of shooting then shots would start to wander. I ended up replacing it with a Leupold mount and never had a problem after that. Still have that B-Square somewhere around the place.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot probably 100 rounds under it and its never moved. I did have it professionally mounted by a gun smith. And that was the mount he recommended for the Redhawk. It might have something to do with the way the two revolvers are shaped.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not that I am expecting armed intruders but maybe a bear or coyote that needs to be persuaded not to bother me is more in my thoughts.
Something similar is what happened to me. I was out walking my daughter who was 4 at the time when a rather large sized stray dog approached us. In the end nothing happened but there were some tense moments there for a while.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

How about these:

Old 02-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Rafsob ... is that top one, a .44 mag? That is a beauty.

When I was younger we had a group of crazy men that loved to shoot. And since my friend had a range (one reason I was determined to have my own) we all purchased .44 magnums from one maker or another (my friend owned the range and a sporting good store and reloaded for us). So I got to shoot Black Hawks, a Bisely, a Super RedHawk, a S&W Model 29 (he watched too many Dirty Harry movies) (and that S&W and Super RedHawk were sweet shooters. And then there was my RedHawk, but the nicest .44 magnum I ever had the pleasure of shooting was a Colt Anaconda. My friend shocked me when he opened the case and pulled that out. So of course we had to go out to the range and see who was the baddest dog, in the pack was. My only advantage with the Ruger was because of my occupation, lots of practice with handguns. But let me tell you, that Anaconda was just a pleasure to shoot. I also shot a T/C Contender but that was a 30/30 caliber. Kicked like a mule.

What is that middle Revolver? That sure is a beauty. It reminds me of a Ruger
Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Dave, it is and it is my hunting handgun. She has taken two deer so far. I reload a 270 gr. Hornady jacketed soft point. I used to load 240 gr. XTP for deer and 300 gr. XTP for larger game like bear.

I have about 11 barrels for my contenders. I have a G2 and an original Contender. Had the original sent back to to TC for an upgrade to take the newer G2 barrels. I also own an Encore, but in rifle configuration.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Ok so I finally got to the range yesterday and it was a cold, wet nasty day!!! but nothing was going to stop me from getting out and making some noise.

I shot the little monster Double Tap derringer. It kicks harder then any other handgun I ever shot!!!!! I trie my cowboy action rounds and had a hard time trying to get it to fire. It would not! However, when I tried all my other reloads, it shot nicely with no problem. Seems the gun had an issue with the primers I used on the first reloads. They were Winchester primers.

Even with reduced reloads it kicked like a Tyrannosaurus Rex!!! But when I put the Hornady Critical Defense rounds in (I will carry it with these rounds), It was very manageable. This really surprised me. These rounds have a 185 gr. FTX style bullet.

I will not have any problems carrying this gun with these rounds and having to shoot it if necessary.

Now to get a good holster for my back pocket!!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by cayugad
Rafsob ... And then there was my RedHawk,

What is that middle Revolver? That sure is a beauty. It reminds me of a Ruger
I have a love affair with a Super Redhawk:

It is a 480 Ruger that took me about 4 or 5 years to find. She will be my dream hunting handgun next year!!

The middle gun is a '58 Remmie in .44 cal. She is so nice to shoot. It was made by Uberti. I think Uberti does the best job when making this repo!!! Very well made and did cost a few more bucks then the Piettas.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

Well I couldn't help it on this post. This has been keeping me away from Black powder for three years now. All G2 frames, 223 Rem, 6.5 JDJ, and 375 JDJ. I have a 22 Hornet barrel that will have another frame in two weeks. All barrels are 14". The Top is the now discontinued Ruger Charger 10/22

Last edited by 50calty; 02-10-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.