Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady Great Plains Conicals >

Hornady Great Plains Conicals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady Great Plains Conicals

Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hornady Great Plains Conicals

I took my New Englander in .50 out this past weekend for IL's late season antlerless. I have taken it hunting before but never had a shot at a deer including this weekend. I am using 385 grain conicals with 90 grains RS. Anyone have experience with this bullet for deer?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a lot of experience with the 410 gr 50 cal on deer and I have shot the 385 a lot at target. They are butter soft and best used on nothing bigger than deer. I don't know why they dropped the 410 I think it was superior to the 385. I used 100 gr of pyrodex RS with those bullets.
Ron
Old 12-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Ron. I have shot the 385 grain but found them accurate with low powder charges. The 410 grain were much more accurate out of most rifles. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Spike

I used to use them when I first started ML hunting (over 20 years ago) and they were accurate. But they the ones I found in deer seemed to be broken up pretty bad. I would still use them if I had to, but I just prefer some of the other conicals
Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

DITTO Ron and Cayugad. The 410's are what I shot in my New Englander for years. The were accurate as the dickens and real deer killers. I almost cried when Hornady dropped them and kept the 385's. I suspect the 385's were better sellers because of the "sexy" hollow point, which is not only not needed - but reduced performance. I used them over 70 grains of Pyrodex RS for a while in my New Englander. Never lost a deer with them, but they were clearly not as good as the heavier flat points.