Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
MK 85 vs Ultra-light western ready >

MK 85 vs Ultra-light western ready

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MK 85 vs Ultra-light western ready

Old 12-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default MK 85 vs Ultra-light western ready

I have a mk85 but Mikes Ultra-light keeps nagging at me. I have owned a BK92 for over 20 years, and now as most of you know I gave the BK92 to a young hunter and I now only have the MK85. So mike or anyone else that has had both. In a head to head battle with Idaho ML regulations in mind give me the scoop on which you like better and why?
That tan ultra-light looks pretty cool. Ron
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by idahoron
I have a mk85 but Mikes Ultra-light keeps nagging at me. I have owned a BK92 for over 20 years, and now as most of you know I gave the BK92 to a young hunter and I now only have the MK85. So mike or anyone else that has had both. In a head to head battle with Idaho ML regulations in mind give me the scoop on which you like better and why?
That tan ultra-light looks pretty cool. Ron
gosh ron! this really a bit tougher than you might think. The MK is a great rifle and I really like it because of it portability and pointabilty and of course it just plain shoots...

But then I have to tell you - It stayed in the safe all hunting season because I used the ULite. I used the Ulite during regular rifle season and equipped as a modern rifle might be and then during ML season - I shoot .504x400 grain BullShop LGP's lead conicals - switched over the ignition and the sight and wa-la ready to go...

Your bullet with paper patching should really be a jewel with this rifle as it is with the MK.

The Ulite fits right in with this years regular rifle season's buck

But, seriously, I do prefer the Ulite for its flexibility number one, I can use it either as a Modern hunting rifle or an Idaho legal ML. I really enjoy hunting both seasons. Second, I believe the Ulite offers more protection to the breech area - I do not worry about caps falling off or debris getting into the breech area.

They are both great rifles - tough choice - but I would go with the Ulite...

mike
Old 12-24-2013, 11:38 AM
1874sharpsshooter

You need both and you know it

Old 12-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Mike. Now not only do I have a little devil sitting on my shoulder I also have 1874SS sitting on the other shoulder telling me to grab the credit card for an order!
Ron
Old 12-24-2013, 11:54 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Thanks Mike. Now not only do I have a little devil sitting on my shoulder I also have 1874SS sitting on the other shoulder telling me to grab the credit card for an order!
Ron
Order it and it you don't like it I'll buy it from you . How's that

Old 12-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ha, Ha. Mike has offered to let me shoot his but I would have to make a 8 hour one way drive to do it. I might be closer to whipping out the CC after I shot one. Ron
Old 12-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ron
I could ship mine down in about 5 days - as soon as my controlled elk is over. and you could shoot it if you wanted to... But it is set up as a rifle right now...

mike
Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You would offer to do that. Your Awesome!
I am going to wait on that offer. I still have more thinking to do. I would love to see how it shoots with my Paper Patched bullets. Ron
Old 12-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

You would offer to do that. Your Awesome!
I am going to wait on that offer. I still have more thinking to do. I would love to see how it shoots with my Paper Patched bullets. Ron
Just like the MK - they are basically the same barrel...

Awesome has nothing to do with anything - your personal character makes it easy to make that offer.

mike
Old 12-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the UL is awesome. I have not owned one or shot one, so I can't speak from experience. I sure like it, I'd love to have one too!

That said, I think you really only gain a little over the MK. A little less weight for sure, plus what Mike said...the more closed breech area. I doubt you gain anything in your shooting, they both shoot great and my guess is your load(s) would likely be about the same. For about $600 difference in price over your mk... I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons.

Of course, it would be nice to have both

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.