Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
MK 85 vs Ultra-light western ready >

MK 85 vs Ultra-light western ready

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MK 85 vs Ultra-light western ready

Old 12-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader

Awesome has nothing to do with anything - your personal character makes it easy to make that offer.

mike

Awesome has everything to do with it. Your one of the most selfless people I have met online. I have seen you help a lot of folks and you have helped me a bunch. Thank you for the offer, and all your help. I will say it again your awesome. I will get up to see you one of these days. Count on it, and we will have to go shooting.
Merry Christmas. Ron
Old 12-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

The Mk-85 is a outstanding Value and they are not making them anymore. Probably one of the better if not the best #11 ignition systems ever devised.

The ultra Lite is a outstanding MZ and very practical with better lock time over the MK-85 and will probably yield better accuracy all barrels being equal. But with it comes a price tag.

The MK-85 Comes with the standard Williams Partridge Style Sights which are Excellent but I think you prefer a peep sight so you will be making a additional investment in that so there is that to consider. Add about $75 to $100 for that on top of whatever you pay for a Mk-85.

I would tend to lean towards a Ultra Lite but I would not turn down a MK-85 if the price was right.

Last edited by edwardCVAmason; 12-24-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The tan Ultralite looks even better in person.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The tan Ultralite looks even better in person.
I really like the tan version... although the green one is not that shabby...
Old 12-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the tan version... although the green one is not that shabby...
My 45 will be in the tan version for sure.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

How come the tan one is not listed as western ready on the web page?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by idahoron
How come the tan one is not listed as western ready on the web page?
Probably just a slip up on the Web Page by the web page designer...

Also - if I could suggest I would really suggest you purchase the regular Ulite with the bare primer 209 breech plug. Then go back to knight and get the Western Conversion.

It would be less expensive that way to have both and if you had no need for both - I would certainly volunteer to buy you 209 bolt housing. The Hammer assembly fits both bolts.

Also... you can get the rifle for less dollars buying it from local or online.

I think Ranch and Home sells it for $750, as well as Sportsman Warehouse... Bob's Sporting Goods in Longview, WA is probably the least expensive - right at 700...

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...6963/cat100008

The only problem right now... Knight sold a big bunch of them during hunting season and they are behind on production... But, they will be back...

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-25-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also - if I could suggest I would really suggest you purchase the regular Ulite with the bare primer 209 breech plug. Then go back to knight and get the Western Conversion.

It would be less expensive that way to have both and if you had no need for both - I would certainly volunteer to buy you 209 bolt housing. The Hammer assembly fits both bolts.
If you buy regular version does it still come drilled and tapped for open sights? I thought only the western did. Or did that change?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
If you buy regular version does it still come drilled and tapped for open sights? I thought only the western did. Or did that change?
Darn... that is a good question - I am not sure. For some reason I thought they were drilling and tapping every thing - but I had better see if I can find that answer...