Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How much of a hunter are you? >

How much of a hunter are you?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much of a hunter are you?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much of a hunter are you?

1- Do you try and hunt every week say October threw January? Deer, small game, varmints, etc?

2- Do you take multiple weeks of vacation for hunting if you work?

3- How much time do you spend scouting and putting up tree stands, putting out cameras etc prior to hunting season?

4- Do you hunt public or private land mostly?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. yes

2. retired

3. Spend much of the off season hiking, but don't really scout everywhere i could end up hunting, because it is so far. Much of the off season i play tag with deer on public land close to home. When i have a tag in hand, i drive many miles to get to public land, and go hunting, without scouting much.

4. hunt public land only
Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
1- Do you try and hunt every week say October threw January? Deer, small game, varmints, etc?

3- How much time do you spend scouting and putting up tree stands, putting out cameras etc prior to hunting season?

When I was younger, I used to hunt ever possible chance I got. But the older I have got, then the more I have cut back on my hunting. Mostly due to health.

Being retired, I hunt when and as much as I want.

I take a walk through my woods every day. If you call that scouting. And I like to wander game trails. I have permanent tree stands. So I don't put them up anymore.

And I hunt private land but do sometimes wander out onto the Federal Forest.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

#1 I used to. The chukar hunting has gotten poor over the last few years and I don't pound it like I used to.

#2 yes, and I take at least a week for fishing.

#3- it depends. If I have a super good tag I scout every weekend before the hunt for about a month.

#4- public land only.
I have friends that own land and Idaho has plenty of Access yes land but I don't hunt private. I used to ask but every time I did I got the same thing. I used to let hunters on but they shot my cows or my irrigation lines, or what ever. Then I had to sit through a two hour lecture on how hunters are the worst SOB' in the world. Or I ran into the land owners that think I should pay 100 dollars to hunt the barren plowed field. I am sic of land owners and I won't hunt their land if they ask me to. I lump them in the same heap that they lump me into. I haven't hunted private land for at least 10 years and I don't want to. Not even for the biggest buck or bull in the world. Ron
Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
When I was younger, I used to hunt ever possible chance I got. But the older I have got, then the more I have cut back on my hunting. Mostly due to health.

Being retired, I hunt when and as much as I want.

I take a walk through my woods every day. If you call that scouting. And I like to wander game trails. I have permanent tree stands. So I don't put them up anymore.

And I hunt private land but do sometimes wander out onto the Federal Forest.
My Family had a farm in Ladysmith Wisconsin. I went there about 40 years ago. I wanted to go back and hunt but never got around to it. Ron
Old 12-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt most weekends 12 months a year for big game, plus at least 2-3 weeks of my annual leave as well. During that time I also try to squeeze in ducks and quail during their seasons. Scout red and fallow deer but while they're growing antlers sambar are hard so its year round bone down this way
Depends on what I'm hunting as to whether its private or public.

It keeps me sane!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. I used to hunt every available day I could Oct thru Jan, then Turkey in spring, etc. Now with a son playing HS football (they lost states last weekend ) and baseball, and a daughter in MS sports... I don't have nearly the time that I used to. I still hunt a good amount, but not like I used to. I'll get back to my old ways eventually, just right now this is the situation I'm in...and I'm good with it. Wouldn't trade it for a second.

2. I take 1 week specifically for hunting every year, opening week of WV rifle. We go to our cabin. Since I work for myself, I have the ability to go whenever I like..just have to schedule it in.

3. See #1, used to be a ton...now, not as much. I have alot of stands already set up that stay out all season. I just started game cameras this year...love it. Got 2 nice bucks showed up in the past couple weeks right behind my house

4. I hunt private only. I own land where I live in VA, and we have a big farm where our cabin is in WV.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

How much of a hunter am I????

My freezer is full!!!!!!!!!!!!

Four deer in a week, been passing on deer since the end of October....
Old 12-19-2013, 03:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes. i try to hunt at least one day of the week all year long. Hog hunting is a big deal for me.

i'm semi-retired; most of my consulting work is done from home.

A few hours each week.

Oklahoma has a dearth of public hunting land. The vast majority of my hunting is done on private property, including my own. i've killed a lot of deer on Ft. Sill over the years.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why would this matter?????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.