Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How much of a hunter are you? >

How much of a hunter are you?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much of a hunter are you?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

1- Do you try and hunt every week say October threw January? Deer, small game, varmints, etc?
If I can. Problem is, the U.S. Navy often decides they have better things for me to do than hunt every weekend. But if I'm in the USA I'm usually hunting every chance I get

2- Do you take multiple weeks of vacation for hunting if you work?
Well, let's see, I have hunted CO, WY, MT, CA, HI, NE, KS, TX, FL, AL, VA, PA, NH in the USA. I have hunted British Columbia and Sask in Canada. I have hunted South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Cameroon in Africa. Does that count?

3- How much time do you spend scouting and putting up tree stands, putting out cameras etc prior to hunting season?
Lots of time scouting but I don't use tree stands or game cameras. I still hunt and track. I'm more concerned about knowing where they are moving and where they are feeding and I'll do the rest one step at a time, unguided, by myself.

4- Do you hunt public or private land mostly?
Both. I hunt private land, state land, national forests, national wildlife refuges and military bases. If I can legally get on it, I'll hunt it.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

1- Do you try and hunt every week say October threw January? Deer, small game, varmints, etc? – I try, but it never happens. When I was younger and single, I hunted 200+ days a year. Just can’t make that happen now.

– Generally yes, 1 week a year to go to CO and 1 for here. The rest is on the weekends when I can find time.

3- How much time do you spend scouting and putting up tree stands, putting out cameras etc prior to hunting season?
– Again, not near as much as I used to. I do run multiple cameras which keeps me entertained. I hunt from the ground primarily so hanging stands has never been a time consuming effort for me.

4- Do you hunt public or private land mostly? –
In CO and TN, private. In VA, public.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
1- Do you try and hunt every week say October threw January? Deer, small game, varmints, etc?

1. yes from the start of bow season until through march. Feb and march is mostly squirrel and the conservation goose hunt.

2. I take a week for muzzy hunting and the opening week of gun season.

3. I plant and maintain food plots on the places that I hunt every summer. I have 7 game cams that I put out around the first of July and take up the end of Feb. I have ladder stands for the permanent places that I hunt and have 2 summits and 1 API if I choose to hunt in different locations.

4. Private mostly, I hunt 3 different farms one is in the river bottoms in the delta. Its flat land where rice, soy beans, corn, and peanuts are grown. The other two farms are hill ground, rocky with poor ground, cattle are raised here. One of the hill farms the north and west borders is a WMA (public ground) I do some bowhunting on it every year.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. I used to. Now with two boys both under 3 there are days i just feel like waking them up to eggs and sausage in the morning. Or more often now just go out for a little get a squirrel or two and bring them home for scrambled eggs and squirrel.

2. Never needed to

3. When not out fishing (Windy days) will head into the woods for a bit check the areas out and check trail cams. Last season been scouting for a bit areas i never been to before, always better to have more areas.

4. Public land but the land is only opened when the base determines it so some days you may find all areas closed and you got nothing to do.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye

Why would this matter?????????????
People who hunt public land have a lot more opstacles to over come over people who hunt private land.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start in Aug baiting for the bear opener 1 Sept. Then wait for deer archery 1 Oct sometimes throw in a week for moose in Oct as well. 2 weeks for deer in Nov and another for deer in Dec if we get drawn.
Then it's bunny time till Feb. Turkey in May. Then fishing till Aug.

I'm always looking whenever I'm in the bush and if I feel the need to move a stand I do. I usually set up/ move two or three stands each year.

I hunt Public land only so getting away from the crowd is paramount.

Somewhere in between all of this I visit with my wife.

HA
Old 12-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

People who hunt public land have a lot more opstacles to over come over people who hunt private land.

Been hunting the Uwharrie National Forest since 1983...

Buck from this year...

Buck from last year....

Old 12-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slight difference between the uwharrie arrive and say croatan or holly shelter

Last edited by olsaltydog; 12-19-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

1- The only thing I hunt for is deer. Our bow season starts around the middle of September, and I hunt every chance I get thru the end of the year. So YES, I do hunt every week during those months.

2- I take maybe a few days off for vacation if I am working. My job is pretty flexible, so I usually have some time off anyways.

3- My hunting spot is about 15 acres, and I run 4 trail cams year round. So that is my scouting. I have hunted this spot for about 10 years, so I pretty much know it like the back of my hand, and I dont like to pressure the deer there, so I try to stay out unless I am checking cams. I do try to get out as soon as the snow melts to do some shed hunting, and to just look around. I have 6 ladder stands, that stay out year round. I might move a couple of them thru out the year.

4- Private Land.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Slight difference between the uwharrie arrive and say croatan or holly shelter

Yep, they just walk right up to me and ask to be shot...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.