Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Honesty question

Old 12-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jpbowhunter
Just this year a guy who I've been best mates with since I was a kid wanted to get into deer hunting. I took him to a couple of my spots (which he's since gone back to himself I've found out and taken more of his freinds) and even helped him get his first fallow buck. He offered to take me hunting with himself, his brother and another mate of his one weekend so I did. We hunted some public land without seeing anything and it was a great hunt. Afterwards though they decided to drive in National Park and see if they could find something which is illegal here. I said "Get effed" but seeing as I was in the middle of the bush with them and no way out I was stuck. I packed my gun and ammo away as the law required and said "I'm having nothing to do with this" and just sat in the back saying and doing nothing just wanting it to be over. They drove along and eventually saw two young stags, my "friends" brother shot one and he dropped on the spot while the other took off. They managed to intercept the other young one and as I was in the best position he threw the gun into my lap and said "Shoot it". I unloaded the gun, said "there is no effing way I'm doing any such thing" and watched the poor young stag finally make a getaway.

Because they were family friends and our old mans are mates I was at a big moral crossroads. In the end I decided not to report them but decided never to hunt with them again. In fact the first brother that I was good friends with just yesterday asked well actually more stated that he "can't wait to go back to MY good spot" that I'd taken him to previously. Just like the spoilt bugger to invite himself to my good hunting grounds I was nice enough to introduce him to. I said no chance buddy!
That must have been quite difficult for you. But it sounds like you did the right thing. I also would have a problem reporting someone - it goes against my nature to tell on others. But I would have done the same as you - never hunt with this person again. In retrospect, you were lucky - if a game warden had come along, you could have gotten in trouble just for being with the other guys even though you weren't doing the shooting.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I made an honest mistake while hunting that broke a rule/law, I'm not sure what I would do. It probably would depend on the situation. For example, if no harm was done and the mistake was an honest one and very minor, I probably wouldn't turn myself in, but I wouldn't try and hide it if I was caught- I would just explain what happened to the game warden, apologize for my mistake and hope they go easy on me.
I'm with you

The first bear hunt they re-instated in Jersey I had a nice 0ne at 35-50 yds and was praying it would stop and eat something. I had it in my sites since I spotted it but couldn't shoot because there was still 15 min till legal shooting time. How could you shoot a trophy, have it mounted and brag knowing that you poached it. That's just not me, also my hunting privileges are worth more than any animal.
However I have reported a poacher and the game warden confirmed they got him, esp. since they had over 100 calls.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Our dnr in MD are sparse and over worked we tend to handle our violators our selves. Would I turn a friend in no I wouldn't. But I would make him aware of what he done.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think its all about intent also. You drive the roads and shoot deer at night, I'm calling the law. Hunt out of season, yep. Forget to tag your deer before dragging it out...or shoot a couple mins before/after legal shooting time, nope. I think as long as people are trying their best to stay within the law, I'm good with that. A buddy of mine shot a spike one time he thought was a doe. Just couldn't see the horns due to angle and distance. Accidents happen, no bad intent there.

I was at a funeral 2 weeks ago...ran into a guy I know who proceeded to tell me he's killed 6 bucks this year so far. Biggest was a basket 6pt. We are allowed 3 total. I guess he was bragging, though I really wouldn't consider it that. I said...6? You know you are only allowed 3. He just smirked, chuckled and shrugged it off. I've never hunted with this guy, and never will. I wouldn't turn him in either...and heck, I have no idea if he actually did it anyhow. Bragging about killing 6 small bucks is about as stupid as it gets.

Heck, I know of several guys in WV that have hunted their whole life...and kill anything they want and as many as they want, and have never checked a deer in ever. I know this to be fact, but its none of my business and they aren't friends of mine. Ironically, they do stay within the seasons and don't shoot them out of season...and get mad when folks poach on thier property. LOL, go figure.

Break the law enough...you'll eventually get whats coming to you.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I think its all about intent also. You drive the roads and shoot deer at night, I'm calling the law. Hunt out of season, yep. Forget to tag your deer before dragging it out...or shoot a couple mins before/after legal shooting time, nope. I think as long as people are trying their best to stay within the law, I'm good with that. A buddy of mine shot a spike one time he thought was a doe. Just couldn't see the horns due to angle and distance. Accidents happen, no bad intent there.
This is where I land on the subject as well. On a buck I killed this year I realized when I was loading him into the truck that I had forgot to punch the tag. Clearly I was going to check the deer in and wasn't trying to skirt the law. Just simply got caught up in the excitement (and hard work of getting him out) That being said, if the Warden would have caught me I would have been honest and told him I simply forgot. Knowing the Wardens in our area, I'm sure he would have let it slide. Again, he's looking at intent.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would be a fine here without question. "I forgot" is not a defense. Too many hunters try to get more than one animal on the same tag.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It would be a fine here without question. "I forgot" is not a defense. Too many hunters try to get more than one animal on the same tag.
True. The game warden cannot look into your heart to see what your intent was - he just sees that the animal has not been tagged. So technically the warden would be within his rights to fine you - if I was in that situation I would hope he would be understanding, but would not be mad at him if I was fined.

I like to be able to go home and sleep well at night - if I know my intent was good, then my conscience is clear, regardless of what the warden does.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it would be the call of the warden.

Either way you know your own intentions.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting topic, not sure on certain things as others have said. Blatant violations without a doubt will call in and will stop hunting or fishing with the individual. On other things I know people who have violated the law at least from what their story was but cant say I would turn them in. Give two examples.

One guy went fishing with his buddy, well in our state your only allowed 1 Red Drum per person well they kept two reds but only one guy caught the two the other guy kept catching junk fish. Technically he violated the law because you cannot catch your limit and then someone elses but alot of people on the water do it.

Have seen the same thing with duck hunters. One guy gets his limit but helps fill the other limits of those out with them instead of sitting it out.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

I suppose it has to do with the area as well. The reason I have confidence I would have been ok is because I've seen it personally. A few years ago a buddy of mine killed a bear and while they were back at the truck dropping off their packs and such, the Warden stopped by and offered to help drag. So he walked back in with them to help drag it out. Upon getting back to the truck he got a call and had to leave. As he was getting in his truck he said "Don't forget to tag that thing." He knew my buddy was excited and wasn't doing anything illegal intentionally.

I'm grateful for people using common sense. Too many kids being suspended from schools these days for making "pow" sounds and having shirts with guns on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.