Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bed an Omega

Old 11-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Spike

Default Bed an Omega

Has anyone tried to bed their Omega?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

Can I ask which Omega stock you have? I modified the Z5 stock without a full bed job with excellent results.

I just put plastic shims ( cut from yogurt lids ) in the lug pockets and sanded the barrel channel. This resulted in a free floating barrel and excellent accuracy.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do a title search for "bedding," limiting your search to the muzzleloading board. You will find several posts about bedding an Omega.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Z5 Omega came with the free-floating barrel. For a cheaper version Omega, I have been extremely pleased with it. I shoots great and can hold 1/2" cloverleafs at 100 yards with a cheap Simmons Pro-Diamond shotgun scope. (shooting off a rest at the range).

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 12-04-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Spike

I have one of the first Omega's w/plastic stock. I have a Redfield 6x18 scope on it with DNZ mount. I tried the plastic shim in the recoil lug, but it doesn't look like it's holding much.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by speedmaster97
I have one of the first Omega's w/plastic stock. I have a Redfield 6x18 scope on it with DNZ mount. I tried the plastic shim in the recoil lug, but it doesn't look like it's holding much.
Can you clarify what you mean by it doesn't look like its holding much?

You should be able to slide a dollar bill down the barrel to the first recoil lug. Can you? If not some sanding will help.

Also, someone told me to always tighten the rear lug first. Not sure if it makes a different but I always do.

You should be able to get this gun shooting great short of a bed job. If the above is set up properly, it's time to look at the loads.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do a search under sabotloader's posts. He made a detailed thread showing how to accurize the Omega. I sanded the barrel channel with a dowel rod wrapped in sandpaper and used BJ weld to strengthen the stock between the lugs. Passes the dollar bill test and shoots 1" groups with the right load.

If yours passes the dollar bill test, you secured the barreled action to the stock with the gun pointing up, and you are certain your scope and mount are in perfect order, then perhaps you just need to work on finding the right load for your gun.