Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Could use some luck today >

Could use some luck today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Could use some luck today

Old 12-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Could use some luck today

Today is day 4 of the MN muzzleloader season. I got out for a couple hours opening day but didn't see anything. This morning I had to go out and cut some firewood. I wanted to make sure we had extra as there's supposed to be a big storm coming tonight and tomorrow followed by single digit highs and minus double digit lows, before the wind chill. Today is foggy and a little misty, and very quiet.
As I was cutting, I couldn't help but notice that it seemed like a real good day to be in the woods. Then I started thinking "you know, with this storm coming they should be up moving around today. If only I didn't have to work this afternoon." I've been working a whole lot of extra days lately, 7 or 8 in a row with just a day off here and there, plus staying late to cover OT. Today it paid off. A quick call to the Capt. and I was approved for a short notice vacation day. I'm going to eat some lunch real quick, go move a ground blind before it gets snowed on and frozen to the spot I don't want to hunt, then I'll hike to the back of the woods and climb up my ladder stand. I hope to be in the stand no later than 230. I've never hunted this stand in the evening, but have also never seen anything from it during the morning. I have a friend that bowhunts out of it and has seen deer every evening he's sat in it, so we'll see what happens.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good Luck, you still planning on using the T/C 45cal?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes we got a foot of snow on the ground is all, but its still snowing in Northern Wisconsin. Tomorrow also they claim. So with the storm coming in, it might be a good day to hunt. Good luck and stay safe out there. I have all my firewood cut!!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM
1874sharpsshooter

So we're you lucky or not

Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

In short, no, I was not lucky. Honestly I'm kind of surprised by it. It just had a deer killing sort of feel in the air today.

I got out to the stand and settled in. Looked around and thought it was a nice view. Very peaceful but very wet. The wind was in my face the whole time. Good for scent control, bad for the mist and light rain that was constantly blowing at me.
In the end I saw one bird fly over. That was it for wildlife. I got real wet and real cold.
Here's 2 pictures of my view. The first is to my right, the second in front of me and to my left.
Could use some luck today-12-3-13.jpg
Could use some luck today-12-3-13.2.jpg

Snow the next couple days and then I'll probably try to get out again Friday, though with a high of 4 I doubt it will be a real long hunt. We shall see.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Deer were moving in my area yesterday, I seen a total of 6, a doe with two fawns, a venison doe, which I missed (see my post) & two out of range, I did not see any antlers. I didn't go this AM (due to snow clean-up) but will go and take a look this afternoon, weather permitting. I like hunting in these conditions, but I think I will put up a couple of sealed stands, I am tired of getting wet!!!! Good Luck
Old 12-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still very surprised I didn't see anything. All I can come up with is that I was out too late and they were already bedded down for this upcoming storm.
I had thought about trying to get out this afternoon, but they're saying for us the worst of the snow will be this afternoon with blizzard conditions. I don't think sitting in a stand would be very successful, and it's too early in the season to go tromping around the woods and risk blowing everything out of there. I try real hard to avoid going back there between firearms season and ML season so the deer can be undisturbed. I won't go walking back there too much until the last day or two that I'll be able to hunt during the season. Don't know if it works or not, but it's what I do.