Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I missed

Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default I missed

Well I had a shot at a nice buck yesterday evening at 4:28 PM
The long story short
I was covering a heavy patck of thickest and to my back was the Corn field.I posted about 30 yard from the clearing and for some strange reason look to my right into the left rear corner and the deer starts entering the cut corn field.
The shot about 150 yards but I need to sneak up at least 20 yards to try to get a clear shot.The buck was not stupid each step I took his head came up and look in my direction 20 steps took a life time.
O.K. it now or never I placed the Cross hair about 3 to 4" under the spine and to my surprise the bullet went over it back and kick up the dirt behind him,so I new it was a clean miss:Tail up and ran like hell.I walk over to were I notice the hoof kick up no blood no hair
I know at 50 yards 3" high my load 240 XTP 95 Grain of BH 209
I should of aim dead center
Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

What a great hunt! To often people measure a hunt by whether or not you kill something. You got to hunt, shoot and still do it again as he is still out there.

If you are 3" high at 100, I would think you would be only about 1-2" low at 150. Assuming that you have practiced at that range, the shot is doable. However, strange things seem to happen when an actual animal is in the crosshairs compared to paper target.

Question: my gun shoots high regardless of powder used on the first shot. Not terrible, but 2" higher then subsequent shots if I do not clean out all the oils. I have developed a routine so this does not happen and I sight in for the first cold bore shot. Just wondered if that may have added to your bullet trajectory being high or do you use a fouling shot / routine?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

That's why we call it "hunting", not "killing"!

Hey, you get to go back out there again......

And this miss will make finally whackin' him all that much sweeter
Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

He said 3 high at 50...That could be 5-6 high at 100!! Need to shoot at 100 and 150...
Old 11-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

I never did get a chance to get out to the 100 yard target no one vault except mine that will never happen again
Old 11-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Well better luck with the next shot. Good luck to you.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

well just got done cleaning the M/L and rifles for this year and something came to mind when looking threw the scope on the CVA.I think I am going back to a single cross hair X
instead of the BDC I have on the 50 cal.
I think for that split decision shot looking threw the scope with to many lines can throw shot placement off .I also do not favor when bow hunting not to have more then 2 pin sight, I have missed a few deer once or twice looking threw or looking at too many pins for the last minute split second shot.
I was lucky to just purchased a older Simmons Mag 44 scope made in japan 6x44MM in excellent shape may replace the BDC set up I have now
I also would like to say merry Christmas to all and a happy New year
glass is crystal clear
Old 12-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by lonewolf5348
well just got done cleaning the M/L and rifles for this year and something came to mind when looking threw the scope on the CVA.I think I am going back to a single cross hair X
instead of the BDC I have on the 50 cal.
I think for that split decision shot looking threw the scope with to many lines can throw shot placement off .I also do not favor when bow hunting not to have more then 2 pin sight, I have missed a few deer once or twice looking threw or looking at too many pins for the last minute split second shot.
I was lucky to just purchased a older Simmons Mag 44 scope made in japan 6x44MM in excellent shape may replace the BDC set up I have now
I also would like to say merry Christmas to all and a happy New year
glass is crystal clear
Merry Xmas and a happy New Year to you also... have a great year!