Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning a Sidelock >

Cleaning a Sidelock

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning a Sidelock

Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Cleaning a Sidelock

I've always had Hawken style sidelocks that the barrel comes off easily to clean in a bucket.

I ran across this video of a new simple way to clean, and thought it would be great for long guns that don't have an easily removable barrel.

Take a look. The first part is normal with patches, but watch what he does with the jug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUJkXKHLY5w
Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

never seen that done before. Pretty cool. But wouldn't the coffee can and water be about the same thing, only faster?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of ways to do it, but this looked like a neat way to do it. I didn't see him spill a drop.

Good for your new flintlock.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Spike

Looks pretty slick to me!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea well...

That fella can do as he pleases it's his gun. As for me, I'm a "flusher". I've been a flusher since 1973 and will probably die a flusher! There's no way that I would be convinced that ALL of the residue is gone from his barrel because of some homebrew he siphons back and forth from a jug to his barrel. Getting that crud out of the powderwell and nipple area takes soap and water under pressure. But if he's satisfied with the job when he's finished, so be it.

BPS
Old 11-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke View Post
Yea well...

That fella can do as he pleases it's his gun. As for me, I'm a "flusher". I've been a flusher since 1973 and will probably die a flusher! There's no way that I would be convinced that ALL of the residue is gone from his barrel because of some homebrew he siphons back and forth from a jug to his barrel. Getting that crud out of the powderwell and nipple area takes soap and water under pressure. But if he's satisfied with the job when he's finished, so be it.

BPS
I am with you!!! Ron
Old 11-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke View Post
Yea well...

BPS

What method do you use to flush a longrifle?
Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley,

The only long rifle that I currently own is a Cabela's Blue Ridge rifle made by Pedersoli and I don't have any problem removing the barrel from it for flushing. I also have a set of "flush nipples" one in standard 1/4x28 and another in 6x1 mm that I have used on occasion but prefer to flush the barrel in a pan of warm soapy water. Looks like the guy in the video has a T/C rifle. Maybe he's too lazy to remove the barrel and flush it properly. I wouldn't want to risk letting some of that concoction he has in the jug run out over my rifle's stock if something went wrong with the process (Murphy's Law states that anything that can go wrong eventually will). As for cleaning a custom long rifle, I would remove as much as possible with a jag and patches and then use a flush nipple followed by a thorough swabbing with alcohol patches and dry patches.

BPS