HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Are there any purists here? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/386146-there-any-purists-here.html)

Smokin Dee Licous 10-18-2013 10:42 AM

Are there any purists here?

I have a .54 cal TC flintlock with only 2 modifications. I use orange nail polish on the front sight and I use the allen key touch hole and it give me faster more reliable pan to charge ignition. I don't like to use anything but real flint but I'll admit I carry a spare which is a synthetic in my pouch. I carry a couple speed loads but my barrel is rifled all the way out so still need to use the ball starter. I use animal fat patches.

:rock: anyone else? :rock:

c-rad 10-18-2013 10:46 AM

On my T/C flintlock I use the same allen touch hole. my rear sight has a white triangle sticker on it to make it easier to find and I did put a fiber front sight on it. Used to have my front sight painted but found I like the fiber better.

Blackpowdersmoke 10-18-2013 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Smokin Dee Licous (Post 4090264)
I have a .54 cal TC flintlock with only 2 modifications. I use orange nail polish on the front sight and I use the allen key touch hole and it give me faster more reliable pan to charge ignition. I don't like to use anything but real flint but I'll admit I carry a spare which is a synthetic in my pouch. I carry a couple speed loads but my barrel is rifled all the way out so still need to use the ball starter. I use animal fat patches.

:rock: anyone else? :rock:

Hello Smokin Dee and welcome aboard!

I think most of the folks on this site us that have production flinters use the allen key style touch hole, either RMC or similar. I too have put a dot of hi-vis paint on the front bead of some of my rifles. Although I don't care for a fiber optic rear, I have installed a fiber optic front sight on a few of my rifles. The rest I leave traditional. RMC has a good front fiber optic sight, but it's not adjustable for windage. Marbles company has high quality machined steel dovetailed front sights that come in various heights and with various types of beads. I have one with a red fiber optic and another with an ivory bead. They also offer a gold bead and they're all drift adjustable for windage if necessary. I prefer to use hand knapped English flints or Rich Pierce's white Missouri flints in my locks. I also use a simple style speed loader for hunting that's nothing more than a tube with removable ends that I keep pre-measured charges in. I keep my roundballs and lubed patches or pre-lubed conicals and wads in a separate container. I have a some loading blocks of various calibers that I plan to try this season as well.

Keep your powder dry and good luck in the up and coming season!

BPS

nchawkeye 10-18-2013 11:42 AM

Are you saying using production muzzleloaders and speed loaders makes you a purist??? Or are you asking if any here actually are purists???

cayugad 10-18-2013 11:52 AM

I used flintlocks, I have several of them. Most have the Allen Head touch hole. But actually I like to original buckhorn sights that came with the Lymans. And I use them. I am not fond of any fiber optics, but have other rifles with them as well. I am no purist. Maybe a Horder, but no purest.

Blackpowdersmoke 10-18-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 4090271)
Are you saying using production muzzleloaders and speed loaders makes you a purist??? Or are you asking if any here actually are purists???

nchawkeye,

I think we would be hard pressed to find any purists here, that's why I enjoy it much more than the "other" forum! :biggrin:

BPS

Johnmorris 10-18-2013 01:14 PM

I like being a pursuit "s I chek out differt types of guns. Yes Dave I would call you A collector that Hoards

freebirdfb 10-18-2013 01:50 PM

From my personal observations most people are not 100% historical purist. Many people strive for a "style" that suits their personality, but add something modern or out of the "style" they try to emulate simply because the gear or tool works best for them.

For my I like sidelocks, but I knocked the rear sight out and inserted a more moedern peep sight into the dovetail because its easier for me to see and line the front sight up, but on the other hand, as soon as I can justify spenging the cash Crazy Crow's Trading post will start collecting said cash.

Smokin Dee Licous 10-18-2013 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 4090271)

I guess I mean using as much in a primitive season as can be reasonable.. In pa you can use fiber optic sights, I think you can even use a scope. You can use inline, you can use pyrodex wafers... I just don't think this is primitive and for me, I like the set up of plain iron sights, and real fint on a pan.

Also, I don't know about everyone's guns but mine came with a straight slot screw driver touch hole.

nchawkeye 10-18-2013 05:35 PM