Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are there any purists here? >

Are there any purists here?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are there any purists here?

Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
nchawkeye,

Now walk past the camera again while you're holding your in-line.

BPS

I've never taken a picture of it, haven't loaded it in 4-5 years...I'm saving it for my older years, when my eyes get as bad as some of you fellows.......
Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I've never taken a picture of it, haven't loaded it in 4-5 years...I'm saving it for my older years, when my eyes get as bad as some of you fellows.......
You're not lyin' there brother!

BPS
Old 10-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I actually thought I was there a few years ago, that's why I bought it...I killed about 12 deer with it over a 4-5 year period and then had cataract surgery...

Those long barrels make a huge difference, just have to open up the rear sight!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Spike

for my I like sidelocks, but I knocked the rear sight out and inserted a more moedern peep sight into the dovetail because its easier for me to see and line the front sight up, but on the other hand, as soon as I can justify spenging the cash Crazy Crow's Trading post will start collecting said cash.[/QUOTE]

Freebirdfb,

Just curious as to what peep sight you used in the original sight dovetail?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

I am not quite sure what the definition of a purist is. The only firearms that I use to hunt with are flintlock rifles that I build myself. I also modify allen set screws to make my touch hole liners and I use butler creek lightning loaders (which sadly are no longer made.) for quick reloading when in the field. I have built several rifles ranging from .32 - .58 and one 62 caliber smooth bore.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Spike

I think in this conversation - let's call "purist" in primitive season the guy using the flintlock with minor or no modifications even in the face of game laws allowing more.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stude 283
for my I like sidelocks, but I knocked the rear sight out and inserted a more moedern peep sight into the dovetail because its easier for me to see and line the front sight up, but on the other hand, as soon as I can justify spenging the cash Crazy Crow's Trading post will start collecting said cash.
Freebirdfb,

Just curious as to what peep sight you used in the original sight dovetail?[/QUOTE]
I typically see people install some sort of tang site, but I ordered this (the long adjustable) with a bottle of barrel brown. It looks a little funny with the dark blue/black against the brown barrel.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...s|Style_1=Peep Sights
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a muzzleloader because some of the hunts are better and the odds are better in some hunts. I mostly use TC Hawken and Renegades. But as most know I Hot Rod them. Yes I am one of the guys that takes a side lock and I put fast twist barrels and shoot conicals with Pyrodex powder. I also use a Peep sight. I never had any illusion that my side locks were HC (historically correct) Or PC (period correct) in any way shape or form.
Actually I don't know how anyone with a production gun can think they are PC or HC. So I don't care about those silly thoughts at all for my hunting. I want the most accurate, and reliable gun I can possibly get for hunting. If someone wants to go HC/PC for hunting more power to them. It is just not my thing. Ron
Old 10-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Spike

Hey man - no offense meant but I feel the primitive season was created to put the hunter at a disadvantage. It's wet, it's windy, it's warm one season and cold the other... It's during rut in season 1 (here in PA) it's like giving out cross bows to anyone who wants to call themselves bowhunters. I think if you want to put fiber sights and pyrodex and scopes, all that stuff on your gun you shouldn't be in primitive season. I think you should show off your skills in regular season. Leave primitive to the primitives. Also, just because TC cranks out guns doesn't make these things "center fire reliable" Mine will have a misfire depending on weather and care and if you remember my original post I said I only colored an iron sight with paint and enlarged a touch hole. Somedays I can't get the thing to fire but when the stars align that's when it happens. When someone comes up with a compound crossbow with a computer scope that gives shooting solution, is that the object of the game? It's not always outcome but overcoming the obstacles that makes it enjoyable.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some, also feel bow season should be with long bows.

In Colorado the bow season is a month long during the whole elk rut. Talk about an advantage! If you talk to the DOW here they aren't thrilled with compound bows. Some guys can take 80 yd shots. That was never the intention of the bow season.

Colorado has fought to keep the muzzy season primitive. They even banned inlines for a year, but it didn't stick. They thought about banning BH 209, but never tried it. The season now is more primitive than a lot of states, but they still allow a lot of what isn't primitive. Our season is during the elk rut, so we do have an advantage over the rifle hunters who get to hunt elk when the rut is over. Since a good percentage of elk are killed in the timber. We're not at much of a disadvantage to a rifle hunter, but we get to hunt the rut. That's why we have more muzzy hunters now than ever before. Tags are getting harder to get.

I bet if we went real primitive with flintlocks, BP, primitive sights, and PRB's. The tags would be easy to get, and i'd be doing cartwheels with joy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.