Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are there any purists here? >

Are there any purists here?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are there any purists here?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 10-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Smokin Dee Licous
I guess I mean using as much in a primitive season as can be reasonable.. In pa you can use fiber optic sights, I think you can even use a scope. You can use inline, you can use pyrodex wafers... I just don't think this is primitive and for me, I like the set up of plain iron sights, and real fint on a pan.

Also, I don't know about everyone's guns but mine came with a straight slot screw driver touch hole.
You have two types of hunting.

The traditional primitive hunting that I feel should be 100% primitive. PRB, black powder, primitive sights etc.

Then you have modern ML hunting. That would be inlines, sabots, sub powders, 209 primers, scopes etc.

What rubs me the wrong way is to mix them up. Putting scope on a sidelock, sabots in a flintlock, sub powder in sidelocks, etc.

They're both fine, and have their place, but do one or the other.

Just my .02, so no insults please.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You have two types of hunting.

The traditional primitive hunting that I feel should be 100% primitive. PRB, black powder, primitive sights etc.

Then you have modern ML hunting. That would be inlines, sabots, sub powders, 209 primers, scopes etc.

What rubs me the wrong way is to mix them up. Putting scope on a sidelock, sabots in a flintlock, sub powder in sidelocks, etc.

They're both fine, and have their place, but do one or the other.

Just my .02, so no insults please.
Well I guess we all have our own rules on this. I am guilty of using subs in my side locks. I like Pyrodex. I also like sabots in my 1:48 and 1:20 TC side locks. If I were going after elk I would be using conicals. The only time I use patch round ball is in my flinters.

Where I draw the line is on scopes on side locks . Bothers me to no. End.I know there was a time when we had no choice but to do so. Heck I was guilty of it once myself. But to see one today I cringe.

But to each his own I say.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
^^^^
Purist to legal definition. lol!

Not sure if that's you or not but I think that guy is hunting indians in a movie.

Last edited by Smokin Dee Licous; 10-19-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

That dress won't work in Colorado. Imagine a blaze orange hat and vest over those clothes.

That's why I never got into the mountain man buckskins here. Plus, i'd look too much like a deer, and get shot without the blaze orange.

I often wondered if I was a bow hunter if i'd still wear blaze orange, because it's not required for bow hunters?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Spike

I'm with you there Muley... When I lived in CO I never hunted - I was in the army and never had time to commit to the license. I did make it back a few times to PA to hunt and I'm in PA now. Yeah we have to wear orange so clothing aside mostly its the weapon and the changes to it to modernize it that upsets me when I see all the stuff allowed and used when I'm out in the rain trying to keep the powder dry and keep it real.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wasn't your flintlock season real primitive in the beginning with a PRB required?

I hear you can use sabots now. What a shame.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

That would be me...In NC we are not required to wear orange on our own land...I give talks on the American Revolution to Boy Scout troops and local schools...I wanted a period picture of myself so while squirrel hunting one morning, I walked by my game camera...

I usually have to wear the camo and orange hat or vest when hunting...

The rifle in my hand was made by the late Bob Watts, one of the gunsmiths written up in Foxfire 5...I bought it from him in 1975...The rifle on the buck was one I made in the '80s...I wanted one that would pass for a rifle made in 1770 here in the Piedmont of NC...That style rifle could have been carried by Daniel Boone when he went into Kentucky for the first time in 1769 or it could have been used in the battle of Guilford Courthouse against Cornwallis in 1781...
Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would be fun on private land. The only private land I can hunt still has too many hunters. The land owner is too generous about letting hunters hunt on his land.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
That would be me...I wanted a period picture of myself so while squirrel hunting one morning, I walked by my game camera...
nchawkeye,

Now walk past the camera again while you're holding your in-line.

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.