Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What do you think about ground blinds? >

What do you think about ground blinds?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you think about ground blinds?

Long story short, I was out doing a little scouting this last weekend and ended up following a good sized set of tracks around the edge of a cornfield and back into a stand of woods. Once in the woods there's a trail and every tree on either sized of it has had the bark rubbed off. A couple of those are decent sized trees. I have permission to hunt this field so I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach hunting it.
I can put a tree stand up but there's not a good tree to put one in without a lot of trimming, and they're our my trees to trim. This woods and trail is on a small hill, and just up from the trail is the peak of the hill. I was thinking about getting a ground blind to put against the trees at the back of the hill. I've never hunted from one, but could see it working well. If nothing else I could get a 2 person one and take one of the kids out with me.
Who here hunts from a ground blind, and do you prefer it to a tree stand? Any recommendations on a blind?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do it man. You just gotta adapt to the hand you are dealt. If you set it up, try and brush it in a little if you can, so it doesn't stand out quite as much. We have a few at our lease...they certainly work - just like any other type of hunting method. I wouldn't say I prefer it to a treestand, but I certainly spend time on the ground each year when the situation is right. Bring a comfortable seat and something like a shooting stick to rest your gun on. You can make one if you don't have one. I have some permanent ground blinds built in a few spots on our property where treestands just aren't the best option. (built from logs/brush)
Old 10-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt from a DogHouse Pop Up Blind. You take it out of the case, and it sets itself up. Just put the right window in the direction you want to hunt, and the door in the back, stake down the bottom and your set to go. Mine is a one man blind.

Advantages, they are safer then tree stands. If you've ever fell out of one, you can not argue that point. But if your hunting dangerous game like bear, you don't want to be close to where you expect the animal to be. Nothing is more adrenaline pumping then sitting in a cloth blind and having a sow bear ten feet away. So move away from where the game will be. The shot might be longer, but sometimes that too is an advantage because of noise cancellation.

They are easy to move, once you learn how to fold them. I have a friend that claims he can fold his blind in under five minutes, and he brings his out, every night. When you set up, try to have something like a dead fall or brush to break up the silhouette of the blind when looking at it.

They are comfortable. I have a ice fishing bucket with a padded seat that I sit on inside the blind. The inside of my blind is black in color. And if you wear darker clothing, you can almost disappear in them. I've had friends specifically look for me sitting in the blind, with a face camo mask on, and dark camo clothing. All they could see was the orange safety vest. Well a deer will not see that.

They keep the rain and snow off you. Now to me that is a real advantage. Although, the inside of my blind, due to your breathing and body warmth, can get damp in there. I've even formed frost on the inside walls. Some people out space heaters in them. I have never done that.

I also feel they make a statement to other hunters. If they see a blind they think.. wonder if we should go over there, someone is sitting there watching us. I was a tree monkey for many years, fell out of a few, and hung a safety rope twice. But the more I use a ground blind the more I stay out of the trees.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would echo what cayugad said. I also think the ground blinds keep your scent inside them, at least to a degree. I have had deer walk right up to them with me inside.
I put a patch of orange cloth on mine for safety, doesn't seem to bother the deer.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

I have used them with success in the past. They do keep you warm on those cold morning hunts as well and hide movement. When you get everything setup, practice raising your weapon and go through the shooting motion. Make sure your elbow does not brush the back of the blind, your gun does not hit the front, your feet do not bump the seat you are sitting on to make noise, etc... Also, do not open all the windows. Just the ones you thonk you will shoot through. The deer can silohette you if the back windows are open and any movement will be seen. I only open enough to shoot through and zipped them closed when I am not there.

Also, if your using a powder that smokes a great deal, make sure your barrel is outside the window when you shoot. If not, it will fill with smoke and look like a Jamican hooka lounge when you finally open the door.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt from blinds a-lot but my blinds are made of the surroundings. I get logs, brush and cut pine tree limbs from the surrounding area to make them and I blend right in.
I also do this way before hunting season starts as making one even putting up a store bought blind you'll leave a-lot of scent and the deer will know you were there, especially a big ol smart buck. This gives them time to get used to it and they'll consider it safe.
As for pop up blinds and the others, to me I did have one a long time ago, sure there nice to keep the elements off you and they do keep your scent down a little, but they stick out like a sore thumb. If you brush one in with limbs and stuff to conceal it that would be your best bet. Try to make it match your surroundings and do as little pruning in the area as possible. Be as scent free as you can and hunt the blind when you have the best chance of scoring on that buck.
Now you may think I'm nuts but the deer will check out your blind in the night when your gone, they'll know you were there because of the scent you left behind. I once was in my tree stand not far from my blind when the big buck I was hunting came strolling in. He walked right over to my blind and smelled around and walked around it, if I was in it I'm sure I'd of scored on him. Then he turned and walked away to never be seen again. I blame it on the scent I left behind. So be sure to use your blind when the time is right and good luck.
(BP)
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Spike

You can never have too many places/stands/blinds to hunt. In the off season I'll put up a stand and maybe move one or two. In this process I may see a spot or two or three I might want to hunt. That's where the pop up blind become handy. I most always have mine (I backpack it and a seat often) and I'll pop it open somewhere on the way out in the evening and slip out to it the next am. Sometimes I am successful and always asked where I was hunting! Sometimes I'll tell em.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

About the same as tree stands.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

I love my ground blind.

I'll use it if I know exactly were ill be hunting. It's great for kids or two hunters as it lets you move around freely.

The negative is that you need to haul it around and it may keep you from moving. While I don't use it exclusively, I'll always have it available.

I use a Brickhouse Blind but I don't think they are made anymore. If you're shopping get one that uses magnets vs Velcro. Velcro is very noisy in the quiet woods pre dawn.

Also look for quality zippers. That's what will fail first.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad pretty much summed it up. I echo the sentiment about brushing it in. It does make a difference.

I will play devil's advocate just for the sake of it. I do about 90% of my hunting from the ground. Just a small portion of that is from a blind. I have been backing myself up against a tree since I was 8 and have had very good success at it. I feel limited in a blind simply because of the impediments of the windows. When I sit on the ground, that goes away and I can see much better. I also feel like I can hear better outside of a blind-and I use my ears more than my eyes when I hunt. Then again, I hunt the woods and not fields so that may not be applicable for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.