Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What do you think about ground blinds? >

What do you think about ground blinds?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you think about ground blinds?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

They will hold up, but make sure to get them down after the season is over. I was late last year in getting mine down. A heavy January snow / ice storm in Southern Michigan collapsed the roofs on both of mine and tore all the fabric. I could not get them out of the ground as te ice had slodified the fabric to the ground and just tore more when I tried to remove it. There are junk now! Use the stakes if you are going to put them out early as the wind can cause damage as well.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

SuperKirby,

I bought my wife a Primos "Double Bull" pop up blind for Xmas in 2011 and last year she shot a nice doe while hunting from it during our early ML season. It's sets up pretty easy after you get used to it and it's quite roomy. She plans to use it more this season.

BPS
Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

It should. I have only used a hub-style (Double Bull). We've had it for 8 years or so and it has held up very well. I have seen some cheap-o blinds that tend to fall apart quickly though. If I was getting another one, I would spend the $$$ for a well known brand that has a good reputation. In my experience, blinds tend to get abused a bit, so you want a good quality one that will hold up.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Tree stands have their place and blinds have their advantages as well, it just takes more effert to control scent. I personally prefer to use a blind on the ground than to climb a tree and subject myself to more of the breeze, especially in rainy weather, which a blind can help shelter you from. Since this isn't your proporty it would probably be better to buy one than then construct one from natural materials.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:04 AM
Spike

love my ground blinds, i dont even own a tree stand anymore, like some of the other guys have said, you should brush it in some so it dont stick out so bad, i always wait a few day to hunt after i set it up to let the deer get used to seeing it but thats just my opinion. best of luck, let us know how it works out.