Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

fouling shot?????

Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default fouling shot?????

I recently bought a new CVA Wolf (blue/black). Been experimenting with various bullet/sabot combinations & powder combinations.
Tried some 250gr Barnes Expanders today (my favorite hunting bullet) over 100gr Pyrodex R/S. 100 yd group was good even with one shot I pulled, but the first shot on a clean & dry (no oil) barrel was about 3" high/right. Still in "minute of deer", but I would prefer to have it right in the group.
I'll try again a time or two before season, but if it likes to have a fouled bore I'm wondering if I can come up with a method I can use here at home (live in town so I want to avoid loud noise) to foul it before I load for hunting.
Would a primer & empty sabot (no bullet) be a possibility?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sight in and set up with a clean bore in my Knight...I also swab between shots...
Old 09-28-2013, 05:46 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I only use a fouling shot with my Whites everything else is hunted with on a clean bore

Old 09-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot mine before season and clean it after season, then clean and put it away, it'll shoot more consistant dirty.
RR
Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only shoot on a BH209 or smokeless fouled bore. Even with BH209 all i do is fire 2-3 primers and run a dry patch so it has a little bit of fouling and i so i know the breach is clear. I probably would not leave Pyro fouling in a bore for too long in any kind of humidity.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-28-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

i refuse to "foul" a clean gun prior to loading. If the gun won't shoot to the same point of aim, clean and dirty; it goes away.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I fire 3 primers after cleaning the oil out then clean again, then fire 3 more primers and mine will shoot in the same group with Blackhorn, I know it sounds like a lot of preparation but I only do it for hunting, a couple of shots into the berm takes care of range shooting.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wabi...........Is the first shot on a clean barrel always high and right? If it is. Sight the gun for the first shot. It only takes the first shot to kill.

The only reason to shoot a fouled barrel is when the first shot on a clean barrel is inconsistent.

This would be for a hunter. A paper killer is different.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by falcon
i refuse to "foul" a clean gun prior to loading. If the gun won't shoot to the same point of aim, clean and dirty; it goes away.
this!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pass a couple of clean patches through, then fire a cap or two to clean out any cleaning/oil residue. After that I pour about 10-15 gr of powder down the barrel and keep the barrel pointed straight up. Then fire a cap pointing at the sky (no sablot or bullet, just the small load of powder).

Then I swab with a patch and load for the hunt. I have yet to have a gun that will shoot the same fouled or clean (own five) so I just do what the gun tells me she likes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.