Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting in

Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sighting in

It's been quite awhile since I have been on the forum or shot. My other passion which is cycling keeps me busy as I normally pedal 6000-7000 miles a year. Anyway I got a chance to sight in my CVA Accura(V1) on Sat. I changed from white hot pellets to 90 gr of 777 loose powder and also switched to Winchester 777 primers. I shot 3 shot groups at 50 & 100 yds with each group measuring approx 1 inch. Looking forward to Early MZ season in the northern zone here in NY.
Hope everyone on the forum is doing well.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by fusion
It's been quite awhile since I have been on the forum or shot. My other passion which is cycling keeps me busy as I normally pedal 6000-7000 miles a year. Anyway I got a chance to sight in my CVA Accura(V1) on Sat. I changed from white hot pellets to 90 gr of 777 loose powder and also switched to Winchester 777 primers. I shot 3 shot groups at 50 & 100 yds with each group measuring approx 1 inch. Looking forward to Early MZ season in the northern zone here in NY.
Well we know two things. With those many miles on a bike you are conditioned enough you can hike in just about anywhere to find the deer. And with that Ml and load you can just about shoot the eyes out of them.

The deer are in Trouble in The Northern Zone in NY!

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you found a load the Accura likes without any trouble.

I tried my son's bike last year. I'm 62 now, and I made it completely around the block. I'll have to admit my legs were aching the next day, though.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

fusion,

Good luck in your early season. I know where you're at, I have some relatives in Webster. There are some nice racks taken up that way. Great fishing as well.

BPS
Old 09-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by fusion
Early season in the northern zone is a great time to be in the woods. Do you think they will ever have an early ML season in the southern zone? I would come home for that.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gotta respect a fellow that bikes that much...I bought me a new bike over Memorial Day and have been biking to my office 3-4 days a week this summer...The first 3 weeks dang near killed me as we live in a hilly area...I'll have to say, at 58 I'm now in the best shape I have been in for years...Good Luck!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

What bullet are you shooting? I have a V1 as well, seems I can put almost anything down the throat of it and it'll give me 1" groups at 100 yards. Love that gun.
Good call on switching to loose powder. No point in paying $90 a pound for propellant and getting worse accuracy!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by adirondack46r
Early season in the northern zone is a great time to be in the woods. Do you think they will ever have an early ML season in the southern zone? I would come home for that.
That would be nice , but highly unlikely will ever happen. Have to wait till after regular season and by then every deer in country is high alert and jumpy as heck let alone see a buck to shoot. That's why I like to drive about 4 hours and go up around Tupper lake area, Its nice and pretty and not really freezing my buns off.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jcrobra
What bullet are you shooting? I have a V1 as well, seems I can put almost anything down the throat of it and it'll give me 1" groups at 100 yards. Love that gun.
Good call on switching to loose powder. No point in paying $90 a pound for propellant and getting worse accuracy!
I am shooting the Barnes 250 gr TEZ Flat Base.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by adirondack46r
I hope not, it would be during or just before archery season, a few bangs and every mature buck would be nocturnal. Believe me I love muzzle loading but it would kill our archery season, it's bad enough we now have a early rifle season during archery for the young kids.
Now before you blast me on the Kids getting to go out early, they say it's so they can experience hunting. Well if the want to experience hunting then this is no way to get them interested in it, they'd think every time they went hunting they'd see all the deer they did when they were allowed to hunt for that one weekend during archery season when the deer are un pressured. But then when they go hunting and experience what's it's really like when you sit there all day and never see anything some times for days then they'd be really disappointed. I say leave it alone.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.