Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wall Hangers

Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wall Hangers

Is it just me, or do some of the rest of you have a soft spot for old non-shooters we all call wall hangers? My father in law, who unfortunately became my father in law post-mortem, (he passed away the summer before we were married) was an avid collector of wall hangers. Recently while in my wife's Mom's shop I mentioned to her that a particular old double barrel muzzleloading shotgun would look nice hanging on the wall at our place.
Lo and behold, my wife came home tonight and said, "Mom thought you might like to have this" and handed it to me. She also gave us the old shot flask that was with it and I think my wife is going to ask her if she could have the "hunter's horn" that hangs nearby. In case some of you are wondering what a hunter's horn is, it's a large horn that was used to call the dogs back at the end of a hunt.
I'm going to hang these items together on one of our living room walls as a nice display. We have a local art shop that deals mostly with wildlife and hunting/fishing prints, giclees' and paintings. We've purchased a lot of works from this man over the years so I'm sure he can help me find an appropriate print to hang up with them. It's a nice old gun...I just wish it could talk.

BPS
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pictures dammit !!!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Pictures dammit !!!
What Semi said.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unfortunately my ancestors didn't hold on to any old muzzleloaders to pass down to me...I'm not drawn to just any muzzleloader...Now if I could come across a nice JP Beck where the owner didn't know what he had and would take $500 for it then I would find a nice place for it to hang...
Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a wall hanger, but it is not a muzzleloader. According to the family jibber jabber it was the first modern .22 caliber rifle ever sold through a Roebuck & Sears catalog. I've posted pictures of it in the past.

It has a engraving on the butt stock that says "Proven Favorite" made by Stevens Firearms Company/ To fire or load it, that ring on the bottom of the receiver is twisted down, then the barrel turns 1/4 counter clock wise and you pull the barrel off, out of the receiver. The cartridge is then put in the end of the barrel and the rifle re-assembled. Not a real speed shooter. It was the family's farm/barn gun, used for shooting livestock for butchering, and for hunting with. My great grandfather purchased it according to the family buzz for about four dollars.

I actually did shoot it once. Just to see if it would fire. Of course I never thought back then, ... would it blow up in my face. I put a couple rounds through it and then tired of doing all those steps to load/unload it. But I made a Black Ash back board from a tree on the property, and mounted it. And hung it on the wall. All my nephews and even a niece had mentioned how nice it would look on their wall. But after I am gone, I don't really care who gets the darn dust collector.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The BP shotgun my wife brought home is a Belgian made 12ga. double. On the underside of the barrels is stamped "A. Drisket & Co." as well as several proof marks which identify it as being made in Leige, Belgium.

BPS
Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
The BP shotgun my wife brought home is a Belgian made 12ga. double. On the underside of the barrels is stamped "A. Drisket & Co." as well as several proof marks which identify it as being made in Leige, Belgium.

BPS
And yet, still no pictures...
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
And yet, still no pictures...
Will you guys stop whining!!!...LOL! When I get the hunting horn, I will take pix of all of the items at once so I can show you what I intend to hang up together.

BPS