Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

any benifits?

Old 09-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default any benifits?

i hear some people put 10gr of 4fg down the bore first then their powder charge of 2fg....im shooting a flintlock....would htere be any benifits to doing that or what have you seen??? also my manual says to trail in some of my priming powder into the touchhole but others say keep it away from the touch hole because it takes longer....what have you noticed?? once i did over prime to about 3/4 of a pan an noticed a bit of lock time that i didnt in the other shots i fired that day....anyone? im new to flinting and looking for the best way to get my flinter to shoot good everytime i pull the trigger.....thanx alot just wondering
Old 09-24-2003, 05:30 PM

Default RE: any benifits?

I do know that it is good to have a touchhole liner that is coned out on the inner side of it, with a touchhole not too small. Straight 2F down the barrel is all that you should need, some people use the 4F under their Pyrodex main charge to assist in ignition. Ideally when the barrel is loaded, you should be able to see a kernel of 2F powder waiting for ya in the touchhole, keep the pan filled below the hole with 4F. You don' t want too much powder in the pan behaving like a fuze, you want that fire flaring upwards kissing that kernel of 2F at the touchhole instantly setting off the main charge. Use nothing but sharp edged hand knapped English or German flints for spark every time. Practice with it as often as you can, experiment with charge weights and bullet types, you' ll only improve.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:58 PM

mauser I use a 10 grain charge of 4f under the pyrodex select main charge
never had a problem with ignition fires every time I also change to english flints.
I was suprise last time I went to the range I shot about 25 rounds threw my hawkens t/c flinter not one misfire with these flints.I also improved my frizzen changing to a lyman frizzen on a t/c lock nice shower of sparks.
As far as priming the pan I use a small amount of 4f black powder @ I make sure the powder is not near the touch hole lock time is fast
Old 09-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...all i use is black english flints...i tried the TC agates...i wasted like 8 bucks i think...they BARELY spark and i tried a few things to help them....ive never shot a flintlock so i dont know good lock time from bad...but when i pulled the trigger there was barely any lag...a poobfoom..no stop no waiting just flashbang all quick..i shot about 15 rounds and once i overprimed and had a bit of lag i did notice and after a while my flint and frizzen face got all fouled up and me and hte guy teaching me were having to much fun to check and i had a missfire.....i seen a spark or 2 at the top but that was it....cleaned it up and it fired after that....i guess if it aint broken i wont try to make it better just yet....i got a hunting season in a few weeks i am hunting and dont have alot of time to experiment going to school and work ect...i gota sight in with my powerbelts and prepare for the hunt...i cant wait....i love muzzleloading already...thanx alot guys.....maybe the spring ill experiment a bit but now im just going to find what works and say its good enough for now....i do want better i just dont have much time to spend at the range now...also where can i find a good touch hole like you described?? i shoot a TC 50 cal hawken.....anyone know? im definently replacing the frizzen after this season....mine looks pretty bad...a few worn spots from the previous owner(i bought it used..checked it over good and determined it will save me more then half and the gun is in great shape except for a few dings here and there from normal use...) i cant wait....thanx alot guys
Old 09-25-2003, 05:07 AM

Trop Gun Shop

709 Cloverleaf Road

Elizabethtown, PA 17022 717-367-5585.

mauser here is a gun shop in pa.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do this when I use Pyrodex or 777 as a main charge in a flintlock, but no, it is necessary or even beneficial if you are using real BP!!