Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are the benifits of a >

What are the benifits of a

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are the benifits of a

Old 03-19-2004, 06:38 AM

Default What are the benifits of a

What are the benifits of a bow sling? I just bought a new bow and the dealer asked if I wanted a bow sling. I've never had one but have seen many people with a sling on their bow. I for the life of me can't see how this could be useful. So...
Do you have a sling on your bow?
What do you feel are the benifits of a sling?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2004, 06:41 AM

Default RE: What are the benifits of a

What do you feel are the benifits of a sling?
With my target bow - If I don't have a sling it WILL fall to the ground when I shoot.

With my hunting bow, I probably could get away with out it - as my fingers hang in front of the bow, and I have more of a command on my shot. But I still keep it on.

If you shoot a suprise release with a relaxed hand - the sling is very important.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hardly anyone used a bow sling until a few years ago, when the manufacturers started reflexing the handles on their risers to shorten the brace height and get more speed - which, by the way, cut the selection of long draw length bows to near NOTHING![:@]

Anyway, the reflexed handle makes those bows so easy to torque that most folks have gone to a totally relaxed bow hand in order to minimize the torque their grip puts on the bow. The sling is to keep the bow from bouncing on the ground when they shoot. That's it's sole function.

Honestly, I don't like either of the things, slings or reflexed handles.
[:'(]

If you've got a good, non-torquing grip style that retains the bow in your hand, then forget the sling. You're ahead of the game.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

search the site for other threads. this one went around not too long ago.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:07 PM

Like everyone has said, the sling serves as a reminder to not grip your bow. It wont drop to the ground when you shoot. Also, it helps if your in a tree stand tryin to fiddle around with something, like your arrows or your crackers or somethin. So, its almost like a cheap insurance policy for your bow. You can get one of the braided ones pretty cheap, and get it loose enough that you wont even know its there. They're not as bad as some people say they are. I use to hate them, but now that i use them i cant go without one. I dont even know mines there though.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the info(those of you who were helpful).

search the site for other threads. this one went around not too long ago.
It's sad what some will do to bump up their post count. Thanks for the suggestion. I learned about that search feature a while back.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went for over 20 years without using a sling. When I completely upgraded my entire set-up last year--new bow, arrows and all accessories--I put a braided sling on there too. To say it's been helpful is an understatement. When I completely relax my bowhand and shoot--allowing the sling to "catch" my bow--I shoot very accurately. When I forget it's there and "grab" my bow, torqueing it, the shots more resemble a shotgun pattern.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-19-2004, 02:41 PM

I use a bowsling for accuracy. I hold my bow loosely and if I didn't have a sling, it would fall out of my hand when shot.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:43 PM

my bow came with a sling , so i started with it and have gotten use to it, so i guess its just what your comfortable with, i can't seem to shoot with out it.

Quick Reply: What are the benifits of a

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.