Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Electra

Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Electra

The last time I took this rifle to the range was October of 2012 and I had a major point of impact shift after taking the gun apart at the range. So I tried to float the barrel a little by putting washers between the stock and barrel lugs. The gun shot well but I won't know if the POI change after taking the gun appart was solved untill the next trip since I didn't take it appart at the range today.
I started at 25 yards taking 2 shots, adjusting the scope then firing a third round. My load today was 90 grains of Pyrodex Select under a .44 caliber 240 grain XTP in a green .44/.50 MMP sabot.

That looked good enough to move out to 100 yards so I did. I shot twice and adjusted the scope and shot again.

The next three shots were all shot on a dirty bore.

That didn't look too good so I tried 3 shots on a clean bore.

That didn't seem to make a big difference so I shot another with the first shot on a clean bore and the next two on a dirty bore.

Oh well, I'm in the ball park.
So I tried again with more attention to shooting technique.

That's better!
With the rain starting to fall and only 2 loads left that I had set up last night I took the last 2 shots and wrapped it up. Too bad I pulled the first shot.

Last edited by pluckit; 06-06-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks good pluckit. A two-inch group at 100 yards works just fine for me. That load will do the deed on any whitetail.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Looks good pluckit. A two-inch group at 100 yards works just fine for me. That load will do the deed on any whitetail.
The last target was shot holding 2 inches high of the bulls eye so I'll need to take it back to the range to fix that. I didn't want to measure out loads in the rain.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

That was an interesting rifle. I came very close to purchasing one. But talked myself out of it. I think that with the right powder and load that you would have an excellent rifle there.

What other powders and projectiles have you, or are you going to try? The problem with contact CVA for advise I found (with the Optima) all they talk about are powerbelts.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
That was an interesting rifle. I came very close to purchasing one. But talked myself out of it. I think that with the right powder and load that you would have an excellent rifle there.

What other powders and projectiles have you, or are you going to try? The problem with contact CVA for advise I found (with the Optima) all they talk about are powerbelts.
Here's a target I shot at with the Electra shooting Shockwave's and Goex.

When I first got the gun I was shooting Blackhorn 209 with a Goex booster and I couldn't get the breech plug out when I went to clean the gun so I never tried that again. It also shoots .45 caliber XTP's well.

Last edited by pluckit; 06-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

I have an Electra and love it! Never had the problems you speak of, I would sent it to CVA to have them fix it. Mine shoots 1" groups @ 100 yards with 200 gr TC Shockwaves and 110 gr 777 FFG.

Everything I read said BH209 won't work in it, so of course I had to try it and as everyone said, it didn't. The only way I got it to fire was to put a 'primer' of 5 gr 777 FFFG below the BH209 but my groups weren't very good.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I would be a little worried with adding washers on the Electra because it might cause too much separation between the electrical connections in the rifle and the breech plug and result in a failure to fire. Just hypothesizing....