Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
JB bore paste experience >

JB bore paste experience

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

JB bore paste experience

Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Spike

Default JB bore paste experience

Hey all, I know it has been posted before but I wanted to share my recent experience with jb bore paste. I acquired a new, unfired omega that must have been stored poorly b/c the bore was rusted. Brass brush and elbow grease did nothing. So after reading posts I bought some jb paste and a TCS jag. Oiled the barrel, then one jb patch for 20 passes. Cleaned, oiled, then a thicker jb patch for 10 passes ( it was really tight to the bore and I got nervous. Cleaned and two more rounds of 20 passes. The barrel came out SPECTACULAR!!! Shiny, polished and rust gone. I can post a couple pics if anyone cares to see them. Anyway, for light surface rust in the bore I highly recommend JB's bore paste with a TCS jag! Can't wait to shoot my new Omega!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad the JB's worked well for you. I had a similar experience and I think it took me about 200 passes with JB's before I was satisfied. I bought a Pro Hunter on clearance that had been used as a display model it's whole life, about 4 years judging from it manufacture date. It literally had dust bunnies filling the bore. Once I got all those out I was horrified at the rust in the bore. Long story short, a couple hours with JB's and when I was done the bore was better than new.
Now to the range. Make sure you post pictures and a range report.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The guys around here are top notch and have a wealth of info for the asking!!! Glad it work for you pal and good shooting.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a mop to apply JB. I never had to remove rust, but to polish. It should fine for rust too.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can make your own jag similar to the TCS. For a .50 caliber, use a .45 caliber jag. Mount it in an electric drill and file some deep grooves while it's turning. Take it to a hardware store and find some thick O-rings to fit.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used JBs on a new jaeger. Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet after the JBs but I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

This.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/kleen-bo...e-mop-226.html

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 06-07-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Spike

I really like that TCS jag, and they are headquartered just outside my home town so I was happy to spend the $10 to get one. I really wish I had a before picture of the barrel, but here is the best I could get of the after. The small lines that can be seen are just CLP that was run on a patch once to finish it off. It still doesn't do justice to how nice it looks.
Attached Thumbnails JB bore paste experience-barrel1.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Save yourself some cash on the CLP. Find a CURRENT milspec CLP in surplus gallon jugs. I find it at gun shows all the time. Its far cheaper and it works fine.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Spike

1+ on JB Bore Paste. I have used it to maintain my varmint rifles and deer rifles for 40 yrs. Will use it to start the new season to make sure the new T/C Impact is good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.