Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PA Pellet

Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Pellet

I took my Traditions PA Pellet flint lock rifle to the range again last Saturday. I was invited to go to a private range again and thought I would see what it would be like there on a Saturday. For the most part we were the only ones there. I can't begin to tell you how sweet that was. Almost like shooting in your own back yard but you have to drive there. The shooting was limited to 50 yards and I only shot 5 targets but it was a joy shooting there. No getting hit with AK 47 shell casings or flinching to extremely loud rifle reports. Anyway, as for the targets, I think I need a lot more practice with my follow thru when I shoot a flint lock.
I started out using a Traditions .490 round ball with olive oil lube on blue pillow ticking, pushed with 60 grains of fff Goex and ffff Goex in the pan.

After that I added 10 grains to total a 70 grain charge of fff Goex and the same powder in the pan. The same patch, ball and lube combination was used.

Don'k ask me what happened with the second shot because I couldn't begin to tell you. It appears my point of impact rose about an inch and moved a little to the right with little or no improvement in the group size. So I Backed the charge down 5 grains to 65 and shot another target.

Maybe I was expecting too much from myself shooting with open sights but I thought the group could be better so I tried another target shooting some .430 cal. Hornady XTP's in an MMP sabot.

That didn't tighten up the group. Oh well. One more try. My shots are the three larger holes above the bulls eye. The guy That took me to the range was unaware I had a bunch of targets and got this one out of the trash.

I don't think I did that well but I had a whole lot of fun shooting a flint lock.
The guy I was with brought his .54 cal. Lyman, the same one he shot last time we were there. This time he backed his load down to 70 grains ff Goex from the 110 grains he had been using and a remarkable improvement was made in his groups shooting home cast .530 round balls and cut up shirt patches with bore butter lube. He seemed to be very pleased and also said his shoulder didn't hurt when he shot it anymore.

Last edited by pluckit; 06-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

It looks good. It is always nice to have an open range.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're doing just fine pluckit. What's the twist rate on the PA Pellet? It did pretty well with those sabot loads.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I think a lot of people expect too much from an inline at distances of 100 or more. Nothing wrong with the first set of rounds. I am happy to keep my groups inside 3" at 100 yds. or more.

Remember, aim small - shot small!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

It has a 1 in 48 inch twist Semi.
And I was shooting a flint lock at 50 yards rafsob, but I still might be expecting too much of myself with open sigts.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually at 50 yds it still ain't that bad. Not that familiar with PRB guns. I shoot a TC big Boer .58 cal. PRB and she is a sweet shooter. I also have recently picked up a Hawken in .50 cal. and will be taking it to the range and give it a good work out.

Not sure what you can do to work up better groups, but I should think Dave or Semi would be as close to experts we have here. I suppose you can work with the patch size, lube and ball diameter. Aside from that, it could be your barrel!?!?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Typical Buck

How thick was you patching with the round ball? If you are shooting off hand,you are doing a good job of it!!!!! Maybe try some 2ff powder?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mounting man
How thick was you patching with the round ball? If you are shooting off hand,you are doing a good job of it!!!!! Maybe try some 2ff powder?
I don't know how thick the patch was. It was the red pillow ticking. I need to get some ff powder.