Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My TC Black Diamond Now Much Cleaner >

My TC Black Diamond Now Much Cleaner

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My TC Black Diamond Now Much Cleaner

Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default My TC Black Diamond Now Much Cleaner

Ran out of musket caps and refuse to pay $12 per tin. So i put a #11 Hot Shot nipple in my Black Diamond. Caps used are CCI magnum. Good news is the gun stays much, much cleaner. After 20 rounds there was very little crud in the breech and on the scope. The plunger was much less cruddy too.

The bad news is that my round ball accuracy with 80 grains of Graf's blackpowder is gone.

The gun is zeroed for 100 grains of Black MZ and the 240 grain .430 XTP in a crush rib sabot. It shoots that load to the same point of aim as before.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since the musket cap is hotter and creates more pressure to start with I would add a bit of powder and then try the PRB, say 5 or 10 grains.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I got sick of the mess the 209 primers did with my Black Diamond XR so I went to #11 caps and have been very happy. Although I have to admit, I have not shot the rifle in a long time.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since the musket cap is hotter and creates more pressure to start with I would add a bit of powder and then try the PRB, say 5 or 10 grains.
Thanks, Lee. Will give it a try.