Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Where is everyone??? >

Where is everyone???

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where is everyone???

Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Where is everyone???

Will somebody PLEASE go out and shoot something.

Getting bored. We need some mental stimulation here.

Maybe even post a picture or two of bullet holes in a ground hog, or propane tank, or toaster, or smart phone.

One of my buds once shot a scope that wouldn't hold its settings. He put it out on top the 25 yard target frame and nailed it dead center on the ocular lens. Bullet exited the objective lens. We had a big argument as to whether a Texas Heart Shot was ethical on a Tasco at 25 yards.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, it seems like most of the forum is running a tad slow. My barrel came out of the evaporust soak. The bore looks like it's fine, I just need to get a mill file and some wet/dry sand paper to smooth out the pits. And I went to run some patches down the barrel to apply oil and it dawned on me that I forgot to buy a new ram rod and the the one on my inline is too short.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Fork Horn

Busy fighting all the unconstitutional Laws.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

When i was 9, Dad gave me his Stevens Crack Shot .22, which he had purchased for $9 when he was a boy. He shot gophers. It has a falling block action. We boys took our rifles out into the field many days after school. Later on i purchased a bolt action .22, and even went so far as to put a scope on it, which my aunt had given me for my birthday.

My first muzzle loader was an Omega X7, which was a falling block action. Later on i tried a couple of break actions, and some bolt actions. My favorite muzzle loader is my 'new' X7 with the falling block action.

Through the years i have owned bolt action, lever action, and semi-auto, breech loading rifles. Recently, i purchased a breech loader with a falling block action. It is described in this thread.

Kinda seems i have traveled a full rifle owning circle, and am back home. My first rifle, and now perhaps my last rifle, have falling block actions. Comforting is how it seems to be.

Does that help, Semi?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah Ron. I happen to be a fan of the falling block action myself.

I own only two centerfire rifles that are "deer cartridge" size, and both are falling block. One is a Browning 1885 in 45-70 caliber. The other is a Browning B-78 in 25-06 caliber.

John Moses Browning was a genius. How can you not like the classic lines of these guns? (I modeled the lines of the Swamp Dragon after the 1885.)

Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Someone has to work Semi . Obama needs more tax revenue to give away. Still going to Va farm just about every other week. Burning alot of Bh thru the Encore short. Wouldn't have thought a 20" barrel could shoot so awesome.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

BO has just about put me out of business, it sucks...

Hoping to turn things around but I'm taking a beating and it sure is
hard to have a positive outlook...
Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I have in my care a very unique .22 caliber rifle. The rifle as the story goes,was purchased by my great grandfathers. It was one of the first .22 caliber rifles Sear & Roebuck sold. And he paid six or eight dollars or some such amount. But remember six dollars might seem like nothing to us now, but back in 1915 that was a large sum of money. My Grandfather in the 30's used to work with a road crew building Hwy 2 across Minnesota, with his own horse team and was only paid two dollars a day for a ten hour day.

This is the rifle. All I find on the rifle for identification is Provin Favorite Rifle. It was made by Stevens Firearms Company. The rifle is in very poor shape as it was a barn rifle. Used for killing or butchering live stock. So knowing my grandfather, it probably never saw a oil rag. Although my father used to hunt with the rifle and said it was very accurate.

To load the rifle you unscrew that ring hanging under the rifle. Then the barrel turns clockwise 1/4 turn and slides out of the receiver. You then put the .22 cartridge into the end of the barrel and again, insert the barrel, 1/4 turn down to match the receiver, and then screw in the ring again.

I did clean the rifle. Like I said, its in very poor shape. The stock was broken over the head of a cow that would not go down. But as the old timers know.. bale wire can fix anything. Now we use Duct Tape. I did shoot it one day. It shoots pretty good, but the sights are very poorly made.

I saw a matching rifle in a fancy antique shop on time. It was framed and real pretty. As I stood there staring at it the owner came to tell me the story of the rifle. He was shocked when he discovered I owned on. He immediately wanted to know if I wanted to sell it. But I told him it was a hand me down, and not for sale.

Since we are showing some interesting rifles....
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

What a neat gun and story Cayugad. If it were mine I'd be torn between keeping it as is and having the barrel lined and restocking it.

Does it have some kind of extractor, or do you have to pick the empty out with your fingernails?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

you have a small edge where with your fingernails or a pocket knife, you remove the empty. As you seat the barrel it sets the back of the shell right up to where the trigger falls through a block of sorts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.