Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
My New Breech Loader >

My New Breech Loader

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My New Breech Loader

Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My New Breech Loader

The scale say the rifle with scope mounted, and loaded, weighs about the same as my Omega X7, and therein is a reason i was attracted to this rifle. Also, the action of this rifle is the same as the Omega X7.

The load is 0.264 120g Nosler Ballistic Tip, 34g RL 15, CCI large rifle primer. It clocks at 2600 fps. Recoil is far less than the X7.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Sweet rifle Ron!

Can you undo the foreend screw and put your Omega barrel on? Is the 30-30 the only caliber availabe , or are there others?

Looks like it should be a shooter. If they had one in 7mm-08, or 25-06 I may be tempted.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been considering a 97D for awhile. They aren't too common, but I did see one at the range last year. Yours is a looker and, apparently, a shooter. Congrats.

Last edited by bugsNbows; 05-17-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bucklessyooper
Sweet rifle Ron!

Can you undo the foreend screw and put your Omega barrel on? Is the 30-30 the only caliber availabe , or are there others?

Looks like it should be a shooter. If they had one in 7mm-08, or 25-06 I may be tempted.

This rifle uses the 30-30 case necked down to 0.264. The shoulder is also moved forward. Calibers available are listed on this website:

https://www.eabco.com/

Neither the Omega nor this rifle have removable/replaceable barrels.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Vihtavuori N540 powder

Well, the rifle and i burned up a pound of RL15 in less than a week. In these times it is impossible for me to purchase more of this powder. It seemed prudent to save the 1/2 pound left, for use during hunting season. This led me to try a different load using Vihtavuori N540 powder i had on hand. It seems to have worked pretty good. The 120g Nosler Ballistic Tip starts out at 2715 fps when pushed by 36g of the N540. The scope elevation dial was adjusted to zero for a 100 yard zero.

The scope has a plain reticle, so for shooting longer ranges, the elevation dial is turned up; seems to work good. It very well may be, i will switch powders for hunting, and not use the RL15 anymore. Soon, after more experiment, i may have Leupold engrave me a custom elevation dial in yards, for this caliber/rifle. For now, the elevation dial is turned up 2 moa for shooting at 200 yard when scope and rifle are zeroed at 100 yard. For shooting 300 yard the dial is twisted up 4 1/2 moa. The other day a milk jug filled with water was smucked at 375 yard with the elevation dial turned up 7 1/2 moa.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice Ron...Looks like a fun gun.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's a beauty Ron. We don't hear much about the tried and true 30-30 these days. But it's one of the best whitetail cartridges ever.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the days following the last posted load for the 6.5 brm, i have experienced issues with extraction/ejection of the fired brass. This led to reducing the load by 1/2 grain to 35.5g of N540. This load seems much better for extraction/ejection, and is still flying at 2685 fps from the muzzle. The elevation dial settings for 200, 300, 400, 500, and 550 yards i have already memorized kinda. They are 2, 5, 8, 12, and 14 moa. So, for example, if the rangefinder say target is 344 yard, the dial is turned up to 6.25 moa, and if a steady trigger is pulled, the target is drilled.

These past days have also seen a bipod installed on the rifle, and most shooting lately has been kinda replicating hunting conditions. Yesterday was a wet damp morning. The grass was very wet. What i did was take the rifle and lay down in a road on which the dirt was damp, but not terribly muddy. Lying prone, i shot 4 shots at each target. The pebbles in the roads, kinda made my right elbow raw. The first shot on both target hit high, and alone. For some strange reason the next three shots on both targets printed quite similar patterns.