Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pacific Northwest Shooting >

Pacific Northwest Shooting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pacific Northwest Shooting

Old 04-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pacific Northwest Shooting

I have been wanting to go get some shooting for the last couple of days but the weather has not cooperated much at all. As many of you know in the PacNorthwest during ML season we must shoot with open sights. I am preparing this rifle for both rifle and ML season.

I needed to re-sight my Ultra-Lite back in with the NECG Peep sight installed on a Warne scope block. I had it sighted in a couple of weeks ago but I ended up changing scope base from Weaver aluminum blocks to Warne steel blocks. I new the rifle would be close after the switch but I wanted to get it done.

I was on the phone this morning talking to a friend in Wisconsin and in my conversation I was complaining about our rainy weather. My friend told me about his current weather then emailed my a picture.... It inspired me... my weather was nothing compared to his - so I decided I needed to go shoot... This is what he is looking at... why should a little rain bother me?

Anyway grabbed the stuff and put it in the pickup and headed to the farm. I started the paper @100 yds. because according to my bore sight and my general feeling I was sure I would be on paper. The first two shots were much lower than I expected. Adjusting the NECG is not a lot of fun for me. It is what I call a slide and glide or move and guess adjustment. The directions that come with the sight does provide some general guidelines but it still comes down to move-guess-shoot. Shot #3 was after the first sight adjustment. Then another sight adjustment for shots #4 & 5. I was pretty happy with that but I thought I would move it just a bit more right... 6-7 & 8 and yes - slid to far right.

But still - I am pretty happy with this and a peep sight. I feel very confident to 150-175 yards with this setup... The Ultra-Lite is proving to be an excellent shooter.

Speaking of setup - here are a couple of pictures that show today's setup.

Now, I need to put the scope back on and get it dialed in for the fall season...

Note: I have been told and I see that I have an error on the target... the blue dot labeled POI should really be POA

Last edited by sabotloader; 04-21-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! That is some mighty fine shooting with iron sights. Wish i could do as well with a 1X scope. You confused me at first, calling them 'closed' sights open sights. Matters not what you call them, only matters how you shoot, using them! It would be hard for me to shoot game 150-175 yard with a 1X scope. Evidently your eye sees the front sight pretty darn good.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Wow! That is some mighty fine shooting with iron sights. Wish i could do as well with a 1X scope. You confused me at first, calling them 'closed' sights open sights. Matters not what you call them, only matters how you shoot, using them! It would be hard for me to shoot game 150-175 yard with a 1X scope. Evidently your eye sees the front sight pretty darn good.
Ron, I really think I just got lucky this afternoon, but the lighting was really good and I could see the target really well. With the hood and the fiber optic front sight - I really think I am shooting through a 1x scope. I do not remember seeing the peep portion of the sight that much at all.

The Idaho rule is the rifle has to be: Equipped with only open or peep sights..

So I short changed it an called them all open sights...

Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some real good peep sight shooting... if you like peep sights. Of course I have a couple rifles with peep sights and have to admit, when the lighting is right.. you can do some impressive shooting. And that is some impressive shooting. I would have a hard time matching that with a scoped rifle. Very good shooting.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's some real impressive shooting. Glad to see that whole set up is working out for you.