Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning stations

Old 09-21-2003, 02:22 PM

Default cleaning stations

i was wondering if anybody has made a certain spot in their garage just for cleaning/working your guns? my mom is kinda made because she fears that I will get the pool table dirty. If you do have something, what is the top made of so if I spill some oil or something it wont ruin the wood and stuff, would felt stuff work or would that soak up the oil, just give me some ideas. who_else
Old 09-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cleaning stations

I have seen special protective mats at Wall Mart for working on guns.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think your mother is right I would stay away from the pool table.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

The pool table might not be the best spot to clean firearms. I can understand your Mother' s concern. What I used to do to keep the little woman happy at home was go to the recreation room and spread out some newspaper on the floor then throw a chunk of old carpet over that (so the gun would not get scratched). I could then give the rifle a nice hot water bath there without fear of spilling on anything, and clean it all up. Even the over spray was not a bother. When done, you take the carpet out to the garage (or someplace out of the way), throw the paper in the wood stove, and no one is giving you the " stink up the house speech" .
Old 09-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I clean mine on the pool table too, mine is a perfect height and gives me ample room. However I make sure the cover is on it first and have made a table that sit right on top of the pool table edges. I used counter top blanks ( can find at any lumber store, however plywood/K3/MDF board-with a latex sealer will work as well), then hinged them together with a piano hinge. I made 2 gun holders so I can clean, mount scopes & equipped it with spots to place tools, screws, etc. Didn' t cost much and I can put it away in seconds. The bonus is I get more use out of my pool table, even if it ain' t playing POOL[]!!
Old 09-23-2003, 03:40 PM

we have a this pool table that we havent played in years and now it is just full of my blackpowder stuff and if my mom will let me i think that i will make something like u mentioned and see if that will work, thanks, who_else