Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pro Hunter scope

Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pro Hunter scope

I'm planning to purchase a T/C Pro hunter 50 cal. in the near future. For those of you who use a scope with the 50ca., Do you use one scope for both your black powder and center fire barrels, or is it necessary to have another for your extra barrels? Any input will be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use a different scope on each barrel.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Being the scope/rings/base are fixed to the bbl. I would opt to get a complete set for each bbl. IT will save you time and money in the long run in having to re-sight in and adjust your scope every time you switch.

You could also get the same base for each bbl and get the quick release scope rings. Then you would be able to use the same scope and rings, but you still will have to readjust your scope each time you switch.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a separate complete set up for each barrel, the only thing that's common is the hing pin.
It is not practical to do any thing else, to switch the scope even if the same scope were suitable for both barrels would mean a complete sight in, that's both impractical and overly expensive in time if you are switching back and forth for different hunts.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Wetpdr;
Having used these guns for more than a few years I agree that a scope for each barrel is the way to go ( If you are married there might be some disagreemant?? LOL)
On my 50 cal and 12 ga slug barrel i use a Nikon Muzzleloader scope and a Slughunter
due to the 5' eye relief ( I sometimes don't hold on to the gun in my excitment and I bleed a lot??? LOL i think) and the other barrels I use an intermediate Leupold or bushnell. What are you going to try in your 50 cal? I shoot 110 grains of blackhorn with a 300 gr Barnes EZ load sabot and Winchester primer
daddus
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pro hunter scope

That is also a good question I've been pondering. I'm going from a T/c renegade so bullet/powder combination is uncharted water for me. I currently shoot 85 gr. of black powder with 320 gr. maxi ball. It seems to like that combo. I appreciate the gouge on loads.