Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How Do I Remove The Rust From The Bore? >

How Do I Remove The Rust From The Bore?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Do I Remove The Rust From The Bore?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to keep showing this test to prove how good Ballistol is for long term rust prevention.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...orrosion2.html
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

If you have a .38 special, or .357 mag nickel case, drop it down the bore, headstamp up. Shine a flashlight in the bore. Your bore is now lit up like a Christmas Tree!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Seems Ballistol works quite well.
It's hard to know what I should and should not listen to as far as advice on forums.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's hard to know what I should and should not listen to as far as advice on forums.
You've got that right rodwha.

The Internet is my most reliable source of misinformation.

Actually, I find the stuff posted by most of the guys here is good stuff and I respect the experience they share.

But I do have a test of sort. If someone says "this is what I did and this is what happened" I figure it's reliable information based on personal experience. So if I do the same thing I will likely get the same results. Not for sure, but likely.

But when someone posts something that looks more like opionion or heresay than personal experience I get out the salt shaker and apply quite a few grains of salt.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

As long as you don't make an assumption on someone's experience. semi.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
As long as you don't make an assumption on someone's experience. semi.
Wouldn't make assumptions if that someone described actual experience rather than just making unsupported pronouncements.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

How can you tell if it's just an opinion, or first hand experience? Details aren't always given.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Details aren't always given.
That's the whole point. If a poster doesn't provide details, one has to assume it's nothing more than opinion. That's why a "I did this and this is what happened" type of post is more likely reliable information.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know you're probably thinking about Jon. I'm not defending him, but it does give short answers a lot of time. I don't know how many long PM's i've written him that took 5 min to read, and I get back a short one liner.

Some guys are like that.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If we could get back to this person's issue with brown patches coming out when he cleans the bore of his muzzle loader, I would like to find a resolution to this issue in case it ever happens to me again. When it happened to me it was in a barrel that I had blued myself and since I couldn't get the patches to stop coming out with a brown discolleration to them I decided to soak the barrel in Evaporust. Of course I had to blue the barrel over again and unfortunately using a different blue, I had run out of the other, it did not come out nearly as nice. But it did take care of the brown patch problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.