Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How Do I Remove The Rust From The Bore? >

How Do I Remove The Rust From The Bore?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Do I Remove The Rust From The Bore?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default How Do I Remove The Rust From The Bore?

I finally got to shoot my Deerstalker the other day. I used RS until I ran out then switched to P. I swabbed with a wet patch (both sides) followed by an alcohol patch (both sides) every 3-5 rounds and when I was done and moved on to the pistol range.

I left it over night as it was a long day thinking it would be OK. Wrong.

I scrubbed on that thing for hours with my copper/brass brush with dish soap. I also had tried Windex with vinegar as was suggested to me. Finally rubbed it all down with WD 40 and let it sit again.

Today I rinsed it with alcohol and went to scrubbing it with soap again, and there wasn't any black crud anymore. I thought maybe I had cleaned it out finally. But running a patch shows what looks like a rusty brown color. I got most of it as it's very light and only shows every once in a while.

I'm not sure if it's flash rust or if the bore is rusted. How would I know without a bore light?

I noticed that my brush doesn't feel tight like it did today, and the last inch or so is smooshed. Is the "chamber" area a smaller diameter?

It's wiped down with WD 40 again...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

It kinda seems as though the brush isn't getting into the grooves very well from the looks of the patches.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

If i'm reading what you did right. You left the alcohol swabbed bore as the last thing you did? Don't do that. It ok to do that before you shoot to get all the oil out, but you don't want to leave it that way unprotected for long. Always use an oil to protect it. I like to leave Ballistol to protect from rust.

You might try some JB to remove the rust.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't use a brass brush in the bore of a muzzloader, they get stuck...I've seen several post were fellow got one stuck in the bore and had a heck of a time getting it out...

Use your cleaning jag...I'd stroke it with JB Bore paste to help smooth out the rust...
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Oh no. What I did was dry it and then spray the heck out of it with WD 40 and then ran a patch to spread it out. I used the alcohol to rid the barrel of WD 40 before I cleaned it.

I didn't know if Ballistol would protect against rust, especially if the bore isn't cleaned well enough. I do have Ballistol (aerosol).

I wish I knew whether or not my bore is getting flash rust or if I have a rust problem.

I clean it and then run a dry patch to swab it and it'll start of looking reddish brown, but then seems OK. I'll repeat just to make sure, and it seems it's just the same story.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ballistol is one of the best to prevent rust.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

That could have been rust. Many times when solvents are used to take all protection out of the bore, you can not leave the rifle sit. If you still get light rust color on your patches, swab the bore over and over with oiled patches. I find that Barricade removes a lot of fouling. Also Breakfree CLP will remove fouling and rust. So I would swab with that. When you stop getting rust on the patches.. then run a dry patch or two to pick up the excess oil.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had one barrel that seemed to want to give me a light brown stain on the patch no matter what I did. Even though the bore looked smooth and clean with a bore light. In desperation, I gave it a very liberal coat of Montana X-Treme bore conditioner and let it sit. Two day later I ran a patch down the bore and it came out really brown. So I cleaned the bore again with 91% Isoproply alcohol until I got a clean patch. Then applied a light coat of bore conditioner. When I checked it the next day the patch came out clean. It no longer gives me that light stain after cleaning. I believe that conditioner leached out whatever was causing the stain.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

At worst its very light flash rust probably. No way it could rust bad in that amount of time. Follow what was said above, and I'll bet if you use a Jag to clean...you'll be good to go.

And, fwiw...the sidelocks I've had over the years I just used HOT soapy water to clean. Stick the breech end down in the sink, and with a jag/patch on your ramrod and suck in the soapy water and pump it back out. If the water is hot enough, it will dry quickly on the inside. Then a light oiling and you are set. Works like a champ, for me anyhow.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

I've always cleaned my pistol within a few hours of getting home and have just used soapy water.

I shouldn't have listened to others stating they've let their guns sit for weeks after a CAS shoot with no ill effects (though it's more likely they were using BP).

A lesson learned though. Although I intend on using Triple 7, I'll have to consider whether an evening hunt on the last day is a good idea since it'll no doubt be late by the time I get home after cleaning up a deer and traveling home.

I rechecked it and got a clean patch. I'll see again tomorrow and again later down the road.

As I don't know how long it'll be (~ a month?) before I get back to the range I'll leave it with WD 40 in/on it. I've read some don't believe Ballistol is all that good for longer periods of time. I'll just run alcohol through it before I use it.

I used my Ballistol for the first time on my pistol. Didn't smell that bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.