Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Rifle

Old 01-20-2013, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Rifle

Some of you already know and some even had a hand in it. I have a new MK85. It is literally a NEW mk85 stainless steel. I got it from a guy over at modern muzzleloader.
I have wanted a MK85 since I bought my BK92. Well I got news that it was shipped Yesterday. I can't wait to try out the paper Patched bullets in it. I might have to order another 50 pounds of lead to make sure I have enough to keep all my guns shooting. Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on your new addition.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

nice i've got to shoot mine, i got nipples and a breachplug before the holidays....not enough time in the day lol....nice gun
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm curious in what you come up with Ron. Tom is lending me his Wolverine, and what you come up with should work in mine too.

Keep us posted on your progress. Are you going to go with the Williams FP sight? How about a front sight? I was going to go with the stock FO sight it comes with. It has a pretty small bead.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If its anything like mine, I'm sure it will shoot them well

50lbs of lead...how many bullets you get out of that?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
If its anything like mine, I'm sure it will shoot them well

50lbs of lead...how many bullets you get out of that?
Well it should be 800. The problem is you have dross to remove. It should be in the 700 range minimum. I do add a little chilled shot to harden it a pinch so it could be close to 800.
The cost of the pure lead is 110.00 to my door. That puts my bullets at .12 to .15 cents. With paper I am probably still under .20 cents a round. Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm curious in what you come up with Ron. Tom is lending me his Wolverine, and what you come up with should work in mine too.

Keep us posted on your progress. Are you going to go with the Williams FP sight? How about a front sight? I was going to go with the stock FO sight it comes with. It has a pretty small bead.
I will let you know. I am sure the Paper Patched bullets will work. That being said I am wanting to try a .496 sizer for my bullets. I would like to see them go down a bit easier. I also have a bunch of 452, .454,and .459 moulds. I could do something is the lines of a sabot. The Lee 459-405-HB could be a very interesting bullet in a sabot. It casts out at 385 grains. There is a lot of potions I will keep you informed. Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you got it on the way Ron. Its nice to find one that hasn't been fired or is still NIB. They are getting pretty scarce now. Once in a blue moon i find one at the gun shows and i will "rescue" them if the price is right. I like finding them a good home.

There is another show coming up next weekend but i dread fighting the crowd that will be there. I haven't seen the crowds this bad since the ClinTOON administration.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Spike

I bought a NIB blue MK from ROGO it is a nice rifle. I am sure you will really enjoy it Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!

Post a pic when you get her, I love those old MK 85's...