Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady xtp?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

I've killed 5 deer, one antelope, and one elk with the 300 grain XTP mag .452 bullets. I cannot complain. I found that through my rifle and pistol the 300 grain did a better job then the lighter grains.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I'm no expert, but the .452 300 gr XTP ( non magnum) will perform very well if the FPS are kept in the range that the bullet was designed for, and that's less that 1600 FPS. If you want a bullet (that almost the same) that will hold together better, than go with the Speer Deep Curl which can be shot at much higher velocitiy.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I was having an issue with the XTP when I used them. I know some others voiced concerns as well. I was killing deer with mine but the problem was I was getting no blood trail. I had more then one person tell me that this bullet was not really designed to travel as fast as a ML will shoot it and it can come apart on impact. The farm I hunt I am usually on a fence row so I am shooting into the open and can see where the deer runs to. I shot deer in 6 inches of snow and would not have found them had I not been able to track them. Here are some threads I was reading when I switched bullets.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...tp-falure.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ew-bullet.html
The XTP Mag was built for higher velocities and holds togeather better than the regular XTP.
(BP)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the .40 cal 200 grain XTP on multiple deer, and my hunting buddies exclusively use the .45 cal XTP in both 240 grain and 250 grain. Between the 3 of us we've probably taken 75 - 80 deer in the past 10 years with these bullets (mostly with the .45 caliber versions).

Our experience has been that the XTP is a very good bullet for deer hunting, with maybe one exception. You need to be careful about how fast you push it - it sometimes has a tendency to come apart at high velocities. Generally when this has happened, the deer still dies quickly provided good shot placement, though. I don't think we've ever lost a deer due to bullet failure- we've only lost a handful of deer, and that was due to poor shot placement.

We've used powder charges in the 70 - 100 grain range with good results.