Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates? >

Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates?

In another Thread we were talking about Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner and MX Gun Oil and Birchwood Casey Barricade. Well mabey about 4 years ago (Sabotloader) had a thread about this stuff and I ordered 3 bottles of MX BC, 2 bottles of MX Gun Oil and a can of Birchwood Casey Barricade.
First off I love all of these products and there all I use now. The MX BC last forever, after 4 years Im just finishing my 2nd bottle of MX BC and Im still on my 1st bottle of MX Gun Oil and I still have better than a half of a can of the Barricade, everyone of them well worth the money spent.
I got out the box I had my last remaining bottle of MX BC and MX Gun Oil in, they were stored in my den and both bottles were in a Zip-Loc Freezer storage bag inside the small box. Well I opened the box and was surprised at what I saw.
The bottle of MX BC was (Sucked In) and the lable was off it, I opened it and about 1/3 of the bottle of the MX BC was gone! There was No sign of leakage and the bottle top was tight, this was a new bottle. The MX Gun Oil was still as full as it was suppos-to be.
Can anyone explain what happened to the other 1/3 of the bottle of MX BC? I really cant see this highly refined Oil evaporating.
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates?-dsc01906.jpg   Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates?-dsc01908.jpg   Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates?-dsc01909.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I noticed my bottles doing the same thing and thought to myself.. better not squeeze them so hard next time. So this adds a whole new light on the experience. Thanks. Maybe it was not my gorilla paws.

As for Barricade... great gun oil. And the Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber is a very good product also. Another is breakfree CLP.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well that's interesting, and a little puzzling. ?

If it evaporated in an unopened sealed plastic bottle, I wonder how long it takes to disappear from inside a gun bore?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very interesting to say the least! Hopefully someone has good answer for this.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

BP

I am assuming that you had the older plastic bottles with a flip spout.... so now know why they have changed containers from their older plasic bottle to the Metal Bottle...

Look at the ingreadients of BC... a big part of the formula is glycol ether. It is an important part of the formula as that is what carries the distillates through the bore. It them quicly evaporates leaving the Terpenes and distillates in place protecting the bore.

The plastic bottles and even your zip lock is not tight enough to seal ether from evaporating.

Today it comes in spun aluminum cans that prevent that evaporation, provided that you keep the lid ans the seal tight.

Kinda like storing natural gas in a zip lock...

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-02-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If that's the case it would mean he now has ultra concentrated MX BC. So that's good right?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
If that's the case it would mean he now has ultra concentrated MX BC. So that's good right?
Ya you culd look at that way, but it would not spread or carry as easy and it will not get into the smallest pores... It would be like instead of being 5w oil it is probably more like 30w...
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
BP

I am assuming that you had the older plastic bottles with a flip spout.... so now know why they have changed containers from their older plasic bottle to the Metal Bottle...

Look at the ingreadients of BC... a big part of the formula is glycol ether. It is an important part of the formula as that is what carries the distillates through the bore. It them quicly evaporates leaving the Terpenes and distillates in place protecting the bore.

The plastic bottles and even your zip lock is not tight enough to seal ether from evaporating.

Today it comes in spun aluminum cans that prevent that evaporation, provided that you keep the lid ans the seal tight.

Kinda like storing natural gas in a zip lock...
Must be that ether that was trying to knock me out when I tried it.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Sabot has it correct. Go to their web-site and then view the Product MSDS sheet. I am willing to bet they got a few complaints and changed their packaging.

Dave....JW

Links for MSDS
http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/msds/
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Ya you culd look at that way, but it would not spread or carry as easy and it will not get into the smallest pores... It would be like instead of being 5w oil it is probably more like 30w...
So should I use the new (old) bottle that has the "Glycol Ether" evaporated out of it, will it still do what it's suppos-to? Since I bought them 4 years ago Im assuming that since I bought 3 bottles of the MX BC at the same time and that Im just now finsihing my second bottle of MX BC that the second bottle I've been using for the last year and a half or longer also has had most if not all of the glycol ether evaporated out of it?
I also looked at the ingredients of the MX Gun Oil, it also contains gylcol ether, yet the bottle of MX Gun Oil has not evaporated and is still as full as when I bought it. They were stored in the same zip-loc bag yet only the MX BC showed signs of evaporation.
And YES I have the older plastic bottles with the flip pour spout.
Am I going to have to order new bottles of both the MX BC and MX Gun oil or do you think the Gun Oil is still good since it did'nt show signs of evaporation, or should I just get some new MX BC, or should I be good to just use it up. But If I go the route with just using what I have I doubt that even by the end of Next Season that I'll have it all gone. This stuff last a long time.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.