Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates? >

Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner Evaporates?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good info SL. Thx
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 AM
JW
Super Moderator

BP - it is not only the Glycol Ether but you may have also lost through evaoparation, some if not all ,of the Napthalene, Psuedocumene, and some of the NH4OH or ammonia. All are volatiles to a certain extent. According the the MSDS peroxides can form and when this happens product stability goes right out the window. Peroxides can degrade the action of what the product is intended to do.

I'd repalce the product and not buy in bulk.
Expecting 4 yrs of shelf life is a bit much in today's market. 16 to 18 months is the norm as I was employed in consumer products at one time and dealt with shelf life of the products I created.
JW
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't know the main ingredient was mineral oil just like Ballistol. Once some of the solvents evaporate from the conditioner its probably closer to their gun oil.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
So should I use the new (old) bottle that has the "Glycol Ether" evaporated out of it, will it still do what it's suppos-to? Since I bought them 4 years ago Im assuming that since I bought 3 bottles of the MX BC at the same time and that Im just now finsihing my second bottle of MX BC that the second bottle I've been using for the last year and a half or longer also has had most if not all of the glycol ether evaporated out of it?
I doubt that all of it has evaporated... and it should be fine...

I also looked at the ingredients of the MX Gun Oil, it also contains gylcol ether, yet the bottle of MX Gun Oil has not evaporated and is still as full as when I bought it. They were stored in the same zip-loc bag yet only the MX BC showed signs of evaporation.
There is less GE in the gun oil than the BC and since the oil is heavier it helps retain the GE.

And YES I have the older plastic bottles with the flip pour spout.
Am I going to have to order new bottles of both the MX BC and MX Gun oil or do you think the Gun Oil is still good since it did'nt show signs of evaporation,
I am positive the gun oil is OK... but I never use the oil anyway the BC works better - so I have not had a need for it.

or should I just get some new MX BC, or should I be good to just use it up. But If I go the route with just using what I have I doubt that even by the end of Next Season that I'll have it all gone. This stuff last a long time.
(BP)
I would just use what you have if it were me...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's JW and Sabotloader for your comments.
Since JW says the shelf life on the MX BC is about 18 months it looks like I'll have to buy new MX BC each new season because there's no way I can use a whole bottle of that stuff in a years time, it just goes too far wich of course I like and dont mind.
And Sabotloader I bought in Bulk to save on shipping, I figured if I bought enough to last I'd save money on the long run. But now I'll just have to suck up the shipping on just 1 bottle of MX BC a year from now on because like you I guess I really dont need the MX Gun Oil as I too seldome use it.
Oh wait....you said the new packaging is in a Metal Bottle with a metal cap, does it evaporate in the newer metal bottle? if not I can at least buy 2 bottles of it and hope it last for mabey 3 seasons befor I need more. How much MX BC do you go through in a years time?
(BP)
Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Thank's JW and Sabotloader for your comments.
Since JW says the shelf life on the MX BC is about 18 months it looks like I'll have to buy new MX BC each new season because there's no way I can use a whole bottle of that stuff in a years time, it just goes too far wich of course I like and dont mind.
And Sabotloader I bought in Bulk to save on shipping, I figured if I bought enough to last I'd save money on the long run. But now I'll just have to suck up the shipping on just 1 bottle of MX BC a year from now on because like you I guess I really dont need the MX Gun Oil as I too seldome use it.
Oh wait....you said the new packaging is in a Metal Bottle with a metal cap, does it evaporate in the newer metal bottle? if not I can at least buy 2 bottles of it and hope it last for mabey 3 seasons befor I need more. How much MX BC do you go through in a years time?
(BP)
BP, I have two metal bottles here that I have had for at least a year and they both feel full - I have not opened them to find out...

I am lucky if I can use a bottle in a year - a little bit of just goes for miles...
Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM
JW
Super Moderator

BP - the 18 month shelf life comment was directed at your package which was plastic. Since then MT brands went to a metal bottle. That changes everything for shelf life and will increase the shelf life to beyond 18 months. At least it shold!

When I tested shelf life on the products I always went beyond 24 months and yes out to 4 yrs. Why? I wanted to know where the products I supported broke down. Many issues on degradation can be solved using correct packaging.

Just to clear that up.

JW

Last edited by JW; 01-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.