Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Soooooo close

Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lonewolf you're risking having rust in your bore if you wipe with alcohol and no lube on the patch. I don't know where you hunt. But in the humidity I hunt your barrel would have rust in a day or less. And I've kept my load in my barrel for an entire season and had it go off without a hitch. I believe it was just that big old doe's lucky day.
And looking back, I do believe I did forget to 'bump' the stock to get the powder into the breech against the flash liner. Probably what happened.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Just to be sure Bronko, i had no question of your knowing what you are doing. Your not asking is why i wasn,t suggesting.
Getting older and like venison but really like being able to say checkmate to a deer.
I can live with not getting bloody every time! Happy hunting.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 AM
Typical Buck

bronko22000:I hunt the same area eastern n.y.s.and Pa. around wayne county PA.
I never go more then a I day hunt and with my flinter I will always shoot it out at the end of the day.I try if I am posted always (if I can) tap the primer charge away from the vent liner.
good hunting ,I use to love the late flinter after Christmas hunt but I have not hunted PA. in the last 5 years.
I here they did finally get smart and stop Doe hunting until the last 3 days in the second week .I can remember seeing as much as 30 deer when PA. had the 2 weeks of hunting BUCK ONLY and the 3rd week 3 day of Doe hunting.
I here from guys that finally the herds are getting better,have a happy
Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

No matter the outcome your Blood was Pumping and you were excited, that's a good day in my book
(BP)
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
No matter the outcome your Blood was Pumping and you were excited, that's a good day in my book
(BP)
My feelings exactly.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Bronko,

I'm with you brother....missed one Saturday morning here at home. It was snowing so hard at 7:30 am that I could not keep my sights clear, and when opportunity knocked, I flipped my lock cover off and waited for the shot which was about 50 yards. Well... the deer hung up a little longer than I wanted for it to be a clear shot and in that short amount of time, I had to brush the snow out of my sights and try to get the sight picture back, not to mention what snow had fallen on my now exposed lock.
Needless to say, I "cocked and clicked" twice before the gun went of and then the ignition time was slower than it should be...I flat out missed!!! Tracked from where the deer stood on it's fresh tracks for over 200 yds. and never found any indication that I even touched it. I had the opportunity to get back out this afternoon and scored at 4:50 pm! This fine 1-1/2 year old doe presented itself at 35 yds. and the rest is history. This deer is going to a very good friend of mine's Mom whose Dad passed away in his sleep during our second week of firearms season and she lives on a fixed income, so I know she will make good use of it.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think me hunting with a flintlock would be about as effective as me going to the woods and trying to scare a deer to death by yelling at it.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Underclocked
I think me hunting with a flintlock would be about as effective as me going to the woods and trying to scare a deer to death by yelling at it.
That's what makes it sooooo sweet when it does happen...

Have you ever fired a flinter??? I still remember my first time and it was over 35 years ago...I hit what I was aiming at and was grinning from ear to ear!!!