Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off Topic:  An Old Boar Hog >

Off Topic: An Old Boar Hog

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic: An Old Boar Hog

Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Off Topic: An Old Boar Hog

This hog was trapped in daylight today.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs...hog-today.html
Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nasty looking sucker. Did you open the door for a running shot? (Keeps blood out of the trap ya` know. )

On a serious note. We put .22 long rifle slugs to the head when they're in the trap. It seems that even if they only bleed a small amount other hogs avoid the trap for a week or more. But if we move the trap fifty feet or more it's back in action right away. Do you guys have that happen also?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

It seems that even if they only bleed a small amount other hogs avoid the trap for a week or more. But if we move the trap fifty feet or more it's back in action right away. Do you guys have that happen also?
Hogs there don't seem to mind the blood. We often catch hogs the next night. We throw dirt on the blood, set and bait the trap. One day a friend field dressed five hogs in front of that trap. The second night we caught two more hogs. That trap is seldom moved; it just goes on catching hogs.

Hogs at another place are more picky. They will not enter a trap with a floor. We cover the floor with dirt and then they enter.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda looks like our schools girls Gym Teacher back in the day, she was a Ugly womnen to say the least.
On a serious note and Im not kidding about the gym teacher, are them hogs any better eating then they look?
(BP)
Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

are them hogs any better eating then they look?
Yes, they are. A wild hog thats fat is really good meat: Best pork chops and roasts ever. Wild hogs fatten up really quick on corn.

That old boar is not so fat. He will get mixed with some fat and ground into sausage.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Yes, they are. A wild hog thats fat is really good meat: Best pork chops and roasts ever. Wild hogs fatten up really quick on corn.

That old boar is not so fat. He will get mixed with some fat and ground into sausage.
So is the sausage you make like breakfast sausage, or is there just a regular pork sausage. I make my own deer sausage and polish sausage and italon sausage and we add Pork to them (pork butts) but since we dont have any wild pigs Im not farliliar with wild bore sausage, how and what do you mix with it.
Parts of our state are becomming over run with wild bores and I eventually will get the chance to hunt them, I just want to know how to eat them and what to make out of them when I finnaly get one,
Thank's
(BP)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice one falcon! Man I wish we had hogs around here...would love to stock my freezer with 3 or 4 of them each year!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Fork Horn

That is an ugly sucker.......
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just want to know how to eat them and what to make out of them when I finnaly get one,
Thank's
Sausage:
We eat breakfast sausage. The processor uses Mortons meatloaf and sausage seasoning. We sometimes make it with friends who use a seasoning the lady makes.

Chops:
i like chops that are marinated for a couple days in red wine. Before marinating the chops are rubbed with lemon juice. You can add whatever seasoning you like to the marinade. i often lightly braise the chops and cook them with homemade sauerkraut.

That is by far the ugliest hog i've ever seen: Never seen a big hog with such short legs. He is also an old hog: Near as i can tell by his teeth hes over six years old.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Sausage:
We eat breakfast sausage. The processor uses Mortons meatloaf and sausage seasoning. We sometimes make it with friends who use a seasoning the lady makes.

Chops:
i like chops that are marinated for a couple days in red wine. Before marinating the chops are rubbed with lemon juice. You can add whatever seasoning you like to the marinade. i often lightly braise the chops and cook them with homemade sauerkraut.

That is by far the ugliest hog i've ever seen: Never seen a big hog with such short legs. He is also an old hog: Near as i can tell by his teeth hes over six years old.
Thank's falcon that sounds tasty. It would be a nice change to have some venison and pig in the freezer. Can you take as many pigs as you want and hunt them whenever you want to?
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.