Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
XTP-MAG on coyote? >

XTP-MAG on coyote?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

XTP-MAG on coyote?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Spike

Default XTP-MAG on coyote?

Now that the season is winding down, I am thinking about a couple shots my Triumph had on coyotes back in Sept muzzy season. Got my first BP coyote on opening weekend with a .452 Hornady XTP-MAG. Dropped him on the spot but don't think I got any expansion. Small hole in and out. Next day, another coyote, right on him, boom, white cloud and he ran off. Pretty sure I was on him, probably punched a hole in him. I'd say it was a probable.

Anyone have any experience with XTP-MAG performance on coyotes? Is it conceivable I would not get any expansion with that XTP-MAG bullet on a coyote?

Any other good MZ bullets for that occasional coyote that comes along?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Spike

No need for the xtp mag on a coyote, the regular xtp will work fine. But if you punch a .452 hole in and out of the vitals of a yote, even with no expansion, it is going to pile up quickly.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

I doubt there was enough to make an XTP Mag bullet expand. A standard XTP might to do a little better, but there just ain't enough meat there...

I do know that a fellow used a 45 Colt 250 grn XTP on a deer and it blew up on it's shoulder, and didn't penetrate much at all. He had to down it with an Old Army.

You could try patched round ball. Or may even cowboy lead bullets.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rodwha
I doubt there was enough to make an XTP Mag bullet expand. A standard XTP might to do a little better, but there just ain't enough meat there...

I do know that a fellow used a 45 Colt 250 grn XTP on a deer and it blew up on it's shoulder, and didn't penetrate much at all. He had to down it with an Old Army.

You could try patched round ball. Or may even cowboy lead bullets.
Patched round ball out of his TC Triumph?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

"Patched round ball out of his TC Triumph?"

Certainly.

What I've read is that the shallow grooved fast twist barrels meant for sabots/conicals will shoot PRB well with lighter loads (50-60 grns or so).

It would no doubt take a lot of testing of ball and patch size, as well as powder load to find what will do well enough.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

And if not he could always use the lead cowboy bullets. It may be easier and might also give a longer range.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of trying some Barnes Expanders. A coyote might be just enough to get those babies to mushroom.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

A Coyotes too small for most MLer bullets to get any expansion, they just blow right through them. I get the same results on coyotes as you and use the same bullet.
Now a rifle is a different story.
(BP)
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

i've shot a lot of coyotes with muzzleloaders; mostly with 240 grain .430 XTP and 250 grain SST bullets. Seldom, if ever, did those bullets expand on a coyote. i would not hunt deer with a bullet that expanded on a coyote standing broadside.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Falcon is 100% correct in the expansion note. The XTP Mag was designed for the 454 Casull and now the 460 handguns. They shredded the regular XTP's with their screaming velocities. I have shot the regular XTP's in my 460 and at 50yds was not able to hit the paper for the flew apart before reaching it!!!!
Shoulder shoot them with what you have and it will get the job done for it will bust up the bone and make frag inside. If the yote runs off to the brush before piling up, then that means you don't have to drag it off out of the way!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.