Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Last minute muzzleloader hunt!!! >

Last minute muzzleloader hunt!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Last minute muzzleloader hunt!!!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

congrats great deer
Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrat's on your Buck and good story, he'll be some fine eating for sure!
Now Im not trying to blow apart your thread but in a few I read on here lately I read where they have taken a "Quartering To Shot" Now from past experience and others I have come to the conclusion that that is a No No Shot. A Quartering To Shot usually ends in the animal running off with only 1 Lung being hit. The result is the animal will run off and bed down. The hunter will track his prize only to jump the animal as it has'nt expired from the shot yet, thus causing a long tarcking job or a loss of the animal wich they will eventually expire from the 1 lung being hit and not the other.
Now sure some get lucky with a quartering to shot, mabey the bullet fragments on a rib and hits other vitals or in your case wich I suspect some of it hit the spine wich resulted in the animal dropping where it was hit.
I took a shot years ago on a big Doe who was only 30 yds away who was quartering twords me, she ran off. I followed the blod trail only to jump her, I waited and resumed the track then jumped her again. I waited another hour and took up the track again. I did find her about 50yds from where I last saw her jump up but so did the Coyotes. I was sick. I dressed her to see what happened and sure enough just 1 lung was taken out, a fatal shot but not a good one for a quick clean harvest.
Now I've also see this happen a few other times and also with Bowhunters. It was a lesson well learned and Im just tryng to pass on some helpful information to people who want to take a quartering to shot. A quartering away shot will take out both lungs as long as you hit near the last rib, that's a good shot to take.
I since have passed on all quartering to shots and have found that if you Wait the animal will eventually give you the shot you want. If you must take a quartering to shot I'd go for the animals neck, the odds are much better, it'll be either a quick kill or a complete miss.
Again I just had to mention this for other hunters to think about befor they take that shot.
Congrats Again and All My Best!
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 12-09-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job & great deer. I'd be happy with him also.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Congrat's on your Buck and good story, he'll be some fine eating for sure!
Now Im not trying to blow apart your thread but in a few I read on here lately I read where they have taken a "Quartering To Shot" Now from past experience and others I have come to the conclusion that that is a No No Shot. A Quartering To Shot usually ends in the animal running off with only 1 Lung being hit. The result is the animal will run off and bed down. The hunter will track his prize only to jump the animal as it has'nt expired from the shot yet, thus causing a long tarcking job or a loss of the animal wich they will eventually expire from the 1 lung being hit and not the other.
Now sure some get lucky with a quartering to shot, mabey the bullet fragments on a rib and hits other vitals or in your case wich I suspect some of it hit the spine wich resulted in the animal dropping where it was hit.
I took a shot years ago on a big Doe who was only 30 yds away who was quartering twords me, she ran off. I followed the blod trail only to jump her, I waited and resumed the track then jumped her again. I waited another hour and took up the track again. I did find her about 50yds from where I last saw her jump up but so did the Coyotes. I was sick. I dressed her to see what happened and sure enough just 1 lung was taken out, a fatal shot but not a good one for a quick clean harvest.
Now I've also see this happen a few other times and also with Bowhunters. It was a lesson well learned and Im just tryng to pass on some helpful information to people who want to take a quartering to shot. A quartering away shot will take out both lungs as long as you hit near the last rib, that's a good shot to take.
I since have passed on all quartering to shots and have found that if you Wait the animal will eventually give you the shot you want. If you must take a quartering to shot I'd go for the animals neck, the odds are much better, it'll be either a quick kill or a complete miss.
Again I just had to mention this for other hunters to think about befor they take that shot.
Congrats Again and All My Best!
(BP)
Thanks Breechplug. I totally agree with the quartering to shot. It's not a great angle to take a shot on. I guess I need to clarify my shot. The deer was standing broadside eating but had picked up his head and was looking my direction. When he turned his head it made his body quarter ever so slightly. That's why I said slightly quartering to me in the description of the shot. Thanks again for all the comments guys
Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Last minute muzzleloader hunt!!!-image.jpg

Got some back strap steaks all cleaned up last night. Now to let them sit in the cooler for a few days. Should be some good eating. The meat at the bottom of the pic is obviously not backstrap. That's a duck I killed on a duck hunt yesterday. My brother and myself are going to have a cookout next weekend. Grilled back strap and duck. Can't wait.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a great buck Id love to see something like him on my next trip out.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice deer, congrats on a great hunt...

Myself, I've never had a problem with a quartering to shot, I either break the neck or put it through the heart, either is effective...
Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look, I see a whole lot wrong with this. First off, it was not me doing te shooting. Second. its not in the back of my truck!!!!! And yes, I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!! Great story and congrats on a great hunt and deer!!!!!!! Will make some sweet kabobs!!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats nice work!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SHulion
Attachment 24183

Got some back strap steaks all cleaned up last night. Now to let them sit in the cooler for a few days. Should be some good eating. The meat at the bottom of the pic is obviously not backstrap. That's a duck I killed on a duck hunt yesterday. My brother and myself are going to have a cookout next weekend. Grilled back strap and duck. Can't wait.
Chops are My Favorite....some guys like the Tenderloins, others like the Steaks, some the Roast, but Me, Nothing beats the Backstraps (Chops)
For the first time ever this summer I tried chops Marinated and done into Kabobs, Oh My Goodness were they good! I marinated the meat and then put them on some homemade stainless steel kabob sticks and took some fresh Green Peppers and Bananna Peppers and Cherry Tomatoes from the garden along with some Mushrooms and did them on the Grill, it was Heaven.
Our Duck Season opens tomorrow but I'll be late MLing tring for that last minute Big Buck.
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails Last minute muzzleloader hunt!!!-dsc01256.jpg   Last minute muzzleloader hunt!!!-dsc01258.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.