Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conn Blackpowder

Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Conn Blackpowder

Hello Say I was wondering the people that hunt the muzzle loader season in Connecticut state land, how are the sightings in that season verses A or B season shotgun ?
I am considering possibly hunting that season for a change, but I was just wondering what to expect as far as sightings do you see more mid day mornings evenings are the deer far less in numbers after shotgun season, sounds like a silly question. I am just used to archery an seeing a lot more than I do in shotgun which I am turning away from, i don't see much on state land other than Lots of Orange lol and have heard of guys talking about far less people hunting the muzzle loader season verses shotgun I know a lot of the deer that aren't shot get pushed off state land. but how long does it take for them to go back or is going to be a long cold day with rare if any sightings
Thanks for any and all info
John
Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

john i hunt ri and on state land . there rutting now, nows the time...you can plan on the rut... shotgun's in dec in rhody we see less deer plus theres more factors if its warm and good food you may not see much....on state land bows oct here, theres less bow guys plus there mostly treestand hunters so they dont really mess with the deer as bad as gun guys do...so the muzzleloader season's the best chance to get a deer...were the first ones to get to hunt with a gun and there rutting..my friends have missed 3 deer and we've kicked up another 3 or 4..i seen 2 dragged out last saterday a buck and a doe...opening day i heard a 12 shots....i walked past 5 guys on the way out....this week we seen no deer it don't take long before they'll only move at night or if there enough people to kick them up to each other.....we got the same weather as conn...by shotgun were hopeing for cold nasty weather so the deer have to move and find food it post rut or less doe's in heat...there shellshocked allready...on state land get in as soon as you can opening day the first week...peak of rut..those are your best bets...i shot my muzzleloader during shotgun, i hunt big river in rhode island its 15 mins from conn.....ed