Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Now we finally get to have some FUN too! >

Now we finally get to have some FUN too!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Now we finally get to have some FUN too!

Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Now we finally get to have some FUN too!

Our Rifle Season opens tomorrow, Connie and I are ready. Our Mlers have been itching for this day and it's almost here. Now we finally get to have some fun like all the others on the Forum who have had there MLing seasons going now for some time.
Were not going to have any Snow for the second straight opening day, the weathers gonna be 48degrees and no wind. It'll be frosty when the sin comes up and it should be a good day for deer movement.
We going to our opening day spot up in ski country on my buddys property next to the big swamp. I guess I cant complain as we've had opening days with pouring rain, snow storms where the snow was so deep we could'nt even hunt there, times where it was in the 70's and days where the winds were blowing so hard not a deer anywhere was moving. So I guess this will be the perfect day, just without any snow.
We went pretty much snowless last hunting season, execpt for a few days late in the season and I was hoping for some snow this year. But for the whole opening week the temps will be in the mid to upper 40's right through Thanksgiving day and the following weekend. So the first week looks like there wont be any chance of snow. I hope we get some eventually, this is'nt right to not have any snow during hunting season in the North. At lest Connie will be happy and warm.
Tomorrow is for Connie, I'll let her have the first crack at whatever Buck comes by, she'll hold out and let the does pass untill she sees one, then if it gets too late in the morning with no buck sightings (wich rarely occures) she'll take a nice big fat swamp doe for the freezer. Im hoping she gets a buck and a doe, then I'll hunt the rest of the season for a big buck and a swamp doe or two more for the freezer. Then comes Late ML Season wich is my favorite, and if we dont have snow by then I'll cry. Im hoping for snow by the end of November at least.
Wish us Luck and with more luck I'll post some pics and a story or two tomorrow night.
(BP)
Old 11-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Good luck.. and I hope Connie shoots a monster buck.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Connie will be using her CVA Kodiak Mag in Mossy Oak Obsession with a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn Mossy Oak 3x9 Scope powered by a 50gr and a 30gr Pyro pellet with a 240gr XTP Mag with a MMP HPH24 black sabot and a T7 Primer. We shot today and lets just say anything within 80yds or better it toast.
I'll be using my CVA Accura Camo/SS with a Leupold Ultimate Slam MLer Scope powered by 110grs of Pyro RS behind a 240gr XTP Mag with a T7 Primer.
Time for bed, 4am comes early, good thing I had a nap tonight. If anyone wants to come here and wake up Connie at 4:14am your more than welcome
(BP)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's Cayugad! Me Too!
(BP)
Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck BP , nothing for me yet up North.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well this morning was a perfect opening day, zero wind, calm as could be and it was frosty white and cold. Today was for Connie, she only gets to hunt a few days out of the season so whatever came by she had first crack.
Connie could only hunt untill noon because we have a new Black lab Puppy, he just turned 4 months old and she had to be back home for him. The shooting started well befor legal light, heck I heard shots at 6:40 and legal light is around 7:18. A few weeks back I make us a nice 2 person ground blind and surrounded it with cut cedar branches and old stuff in the woods. I also cut each of us 2 shooting sticks with a "Y" at the top and had them pushed way in the ground so they were solid and aimed at the spots where I expected to see deer.
Around 7:30 we had deer running all through the woods by us, but no good shots for connie, we saw a few small bucks and 1 8pt and a bunch of does. We had a few big swamp does in the 130-140lb range that were close but connie wanted a buck, so we waited.
At 7:50 I spied a buck walking our way and told connie to get ready, the buck was around 80yds. She cocked back the hammer and was on him, I told her to wait untill he stoped and was, then BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!! He hit the ground instantly! Connie yealled He's Down! We high fived and I tried to see how big he was through my scope but could'nt as his head was just over a knoll in the woods. Connie wanted to go see her buck but I said let him lay and lets hunt forawhile longer, mabey something else will come through.
We saw a few more good Does come by but it's just opening day and we have the whole season to go she passed on them and we finally went to see her buck at around 9:30
There laid a beautiful 6pt, connie was excited. Her shot was on the right side of the buck high in the lungs. But the bullet must have hit a bone because after it went through the lungs it went upward and exited high by the spine, thus the drop on the sopt.
We hunted till noon and nothing more but small bucks and does so I dragged the buck to what we call the hidden meadow and walked 2 miles back to our vehicles, connie drove her car and me my truck and she went home.
Now the fun began, after all our hunting party talked about what everyone got my one buddy went to get the 4 wheeler and start getting the deer out on the sled attached to the back. My problems started on the walk in, prior to opening day my buddy and I fixed our only access to one part of his property that was washed out by the rain. The creek off the main swamp had once again washed away all our work from Hurricane Sandy, Connies deer was 1 1/2 miles past this point in the wood still, and no snow and no way for me to get it out with the 4 wheeler execpt to drag it out. Now I have dragged many deer from that point, but with no snow this was gonna be hard. My buddy said ni way can he get accross with his 4 wheeler unless somehow I fix it with rocks and logs while he's getting out the other deer.
I began the fix, I found some of the logs I cut that were washed away down stream in the creek, plus some big boulders, I worked for over an hour carrying 100lb rocks and logs and thought I had a good fix. My buddy came by and looked and said that should work, a sigh of relief from me as I knew if he could'nt get connies deer it was going to take me a few hours and the rest of the afternoon to get it out. But the worst part is while I was in the creek getting boulders I slipped into deep water and filled my boots full, the creek water was freezing.
My buddy went and got connies deer and even though I was freezing and boots full of water I decided to stay and finish out the afternoon hunt. AsI sat there fe=reezing with hypothermia setting in here came some deer, big does, I refused to shoot anything back in there unless it was a big buck, none showed, it got dust and I left and could'nt wait to get home and into the shower and dry clothes. But it was all worth it seeing Connie get her buck on opening day 2 years in a row.
Included are some pics, connie and her buck, our ground blind and view, the swamp creek that washed away our path over it and my partial fix.
As Im wrriting this I just finished cleaning connies MLer, she loves me. Oh, her buck weighed in at 143lbs, not bad for a little Northern 1 1/2 year old.
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails Now we finally get to have some FUN too!-dsc01577.jpg   Now we finally get to have some FUN too!-dsc01581.jpg   Now we finally get to have some FUN too!-dsc01584.jpg   Now we finally get to have some FUN too!-dsc01583.jpg  
Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

How sweet it, Is!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to give Connie all the credit in the world, after 2 sugeries on her wrist and 1 more to go I thought I'd lost my opening day partner forever. But a week or so back I got her to shoot her Mler and she was surprising to say the least. From 50-75yds this girl can shoot. She packs em in better that a few of the guys we hunt with.
We've been hunting togeather on opening day for 27 years now, give or take one or two because of bad weather, I let her stay home. Even though I used to get razzed by the guys for taking my wife on opening day, they now look forward to seeing her. She may not shoot the biggest buck in the woods but she's consistant. And everytime she gets a deer I get a thrill that cant be explained. There's nothing more I'd hope for on opening day then for her to get a deer. She has 2 more days this season she can hunt and Im hoping she'll get a big fat swamp doe next, then she gets a crack at another buck for Late MLer Season and another doe tag also.
(BP)
Old 11-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff BP, congrats to both of you on a great day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.