Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Force on Ramrod to load sabotted bullet >

Force on Ramrod to load sabotted bullet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Force on Ramrod to load sabotted bullet

Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Force on Ramrod to load sabotted bullet

Today at the range I was trying a couple of different bullets and sabots. I was using Blackhorn 209 and CCI primers.
The first bullet was the 250 grain SST that comes prepackaged with a red sabot, and the I was also trying 300 grain Hornady XTP with the MMP black sabot. I was wiping the barrel with a clean patch twice after each shot and letting the barrel cool. The SSTs with the red sabot shot fine and loaded easily.
When it came to the 300 grain XTPs with the MMP black sabot I could barely push it down the barrel. I shot it and it was fine. I the did the same with an SST and the MMP black sabot and this also loaded with great difficulty.
I then tried the 300 grain XTPs with the red sabot that came with the SSTs and it loaded fine and after 5 shots I had a 2" group at 100yds.
When I came home, I cleaned the gun, lubed it, and then ran a few dry patches through the bore to remove the oil. I the put the gun on a scale and ran one of the 300 grain XTPs in a MMP black sabot and it took 18 pounds of force (26#-8# for the weight of the gun) to drive the sabotted bullet down the bore. Just from how it felt at the range, with the the barrel wiped 2 times with a dry patch, I would guess that it took at least 30 pounds or more to get the black sabotted bullet down the bore.
What do you think? Different sabot, or use it with the higher loading in a dirty bore?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't bother with the patches at the range. Just leave it fouled.

Sabots for me load hard. I need to start them down with two hands low on the rod, and then put my bodyweight on the top of the rod to get then down.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I wouldn't bother with the patches at the range. Just leave it fouled.

Sabots for me load hard. I need to start them down with two hands low on the rod, and then put my bodyweight on the top of the rod to get then down.
Thanks, I've been sitting here waiting for you to comment. I was just afraid of doing damage, but it did take to hands to get it started.
Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

OLDBOB

Personally I would think that 18# is a little light - that loads to easy.

I try to be be between 30-40* including the rifle.

The red sabot is a MMP HPH-3p-EZ load - I think you would be better off with a Black HPH-24, especially shooting BH. That should offer you better accuracy and consistentcy..
Old 10-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ramrod load

Originally Posted by sabotloader
OLDBOB

Personally I would think that 18# is a little light - that loads to easy.

I try to be be between 30-40* including the rifle.

The red sabot is a MMP HPH-3p-EZ load - I think you would be better off with a Black HPH-24, especially shooting BH. That should offer you better accuracy and consistentcy..
Thanks, I've ordered 100 HPH-24 sabots to try.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't say what gun this was with. And no need to swab the bore every couple of shots with the BH209 powder. I went 26 shots once before I finally swabbed my barrel. Had a hard time not believing that I didn't have to do it with BH209.

Now if you were using a TC gun, I would tell you that they have a bad habit of cutting their barrels a little too tight for my liking. It doesn't take away from the accuracy of their guns, just pizzes me off trying to load that second shot!!!