Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What are (if any) are your goals for this hunting season? >

What are (if any) are your goals for this hunting season?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What are (if any) are your goals for this hunting season?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are (if any) are your goals for this hunting season?

So do any of you have certain goals your trying to set for this hunting season? Is there a new MLer your trying for the first time, a new bullet, new powder, a scope? Are you trying for that Big Buck who evaded you last season, are you out to just have fun and fill your freezer?
For me Im still asking myself that question......Im good with my set up, if the big buck shows up he does, if not I wont lose sleep over it and my health is as good as I could hope for, I think anyways
I guess for this season my goal is to see some of my good friends that I dont see much during the year as were all so busy, to share the fun of the hunt with them and to just be with them. I've been blessed to fill the freezer each year so this season more than anything Im just happy to see another.
Breechplug wants to wish Everyone and there's a Safe and Tag Filled Season. Remember the Season is Short but Memories last a Lifetime.
(BP)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

My goal is the same as every other season just have fun and enjoy time in the woods. I use to operate a program for the army called HOOAH which stands for Helping Out Our American Heroes/Healing Outside Of A Hospital. The program was designed to enable disabled Soldiers that were returning from combat. I was and I am one of those Soldiers. Everywhere that we had an event; I would always tell everyone that success comes in many different forms. I truly enjoyed taking these young men and women into the field and help them see that they can still participate in the hunting sports. I have been blessed to have met and helped so many. It’s always been an honor to serve such a great nation. This season is slightly different for me; I am still recovering, but I will be a donor for the Soldiers this year and allows me to give back to those who have given so much for me. My only expectation or goal is to enjoy the moment and the friendships.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Return home safely and enjoy my time in the woods with nature and friends. If I get a deer all the better. And a monster buck would be nice, but that is just gravy.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I plan to do everything I can to sic the Swamp Dragon on a deer.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a good size bear we have been getting on camera most of the year. So priority 1 is to stick him with a 3 blade Muzzy or a Barnes T-EZ. Priority 2 would be a 130 or better buck.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
We have a good size bear we have been getting on camera most of the year. So priority 1 is to stick him with a 3 blade Muzzy or a Barnes T-EZ. Priority 2 would be a 130 or better buck.
Those 3 blade MUZZY's are awsome ar'nt they. We have some big bears here also, thye opened the season for bears here a couple of years ago, there numbers got big and so have they. But I've never eaten a bear let alone had the chance to dress one. Im undecided yet on weather or not I'll take one if given the chance.
As for the 130 or better class buck, I've been doing that for years (Archery Season) but it seems everytime I see a 130 Im like naw there's a better one out there. Then the 135+ comes along and still the same thing...wait. Then the end of archery season comes and I have an unfilled tag, but I can use it for late ML Season....dont get me wrong I dont go past the 140 mark, but I'd rather have a 150 or 160.
Breechplug has a few 150 and 160 class bucks and I guess the older I get if it's not as big as on the wall then Im passing. They wont get any bigger if you take em now and hopefully there smart enough to avoid the other hunters and live another year.
(BP)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Slow Burn
My goal is the same as every other season just have fun and enjoy time in the woods. I use to operate a program for the army called HOOAH which stands for Helping Out Our American Heroes/Healing Outside Of A Hospital. The program was designed to enable disabled Soldiers that were returning from combat. I was and I am one of those Soldiers. Everywhere that we had an event; I would always tell everyone that success comes in many different forms. I truly enjoyed taking these young men and women into the field and help them see that they can still participate in the hunting sports. I have been blessed to have met and helped so many. It’s always been an honor to serve such a great nation. This season is slightly different for me; I am still recovering, but I will be a donor for the Soldiers this year and allows me to give back to those who have given so much for me. My only expectation or goal is to enjoy the moment and the friendships.
All I can say to that is GOD Bless You and the one's who you help that have faught to keep our lives safe and to protect the good old USA!
(BP)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Those 3 blade MUZZY's are awsome ar'nt they. We have some big bears here also, thye opened the season for bears here a couple of years ago, there numbers got big and so have they. But I've never eaten a bear let alone had the chance to dress one. Im undecided yet on weather or not I'll take one if given the chance.
As for the 130 or better class buck, I've been doing that for years (Archery Season) but it seems everytime I see a 130 Im like naw there's a better one out there. Then the 135+ comes along and still the same thing...wait. Then the end of archery season comes and I have an unfilled tag, but I can use it for late ML Season....dont get me wrong I dont go past the 140 mark, but I'd rather have a 150 or 160.
Breechplug has a few 150 and 160 class bucks and I guess the older I get if it's not as big as on the wall then Im passing. They wont get any bigger if you take em now and hopefully there smart enough to avoid the other hunters and live another year.
(BP)
Bear meat is probably one of my favorite meats. A bear roast is just heavenly.

I say 130 because where I hunt in VA and TN, they don't get much bigger.-at least not very often. I have a 141 on the wall but I don't mind shooting 130s.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Typical Buck

Safety, good health and enjoying time on the prairie are number one.

After that, I always dream of the monster buck but I can't stop myself from shooting a good buck. I'm blessed with a great deer heard and I just can't pass up a nice deer.

This year, I'll have my brother with me. Since I've already filled my only buck tag, I'll be helping him fill a tag. While not a rookie, he has hunted very little in the past.

I also want to shoot a doe with the side lock.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
Safety, good health and enjoying time on the prairie are number one.

After that, I always dream of the monster buck but I can't stop myself from shooting a good buck. I'm blessed with a great deer heard and I just can't pass up a nice deer.

This year, I'll have my brother with me. Since I've already filled my only buck tag, I'll be helping him fill a tag. While not a rookie, he has hunted very little in the past.

I also want to shoot a doe with the side lock.
Shooting any deer, especially with a side lock, would be exciting. Where you hunt on the Prairie do you have long shots? After seeing some of Ron's and Chef's photos of open prairie, there don't look like a lot of places to ambush one. Good luck to you and everyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.