Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Clear Shot...Non-Corrosive? >

Clear Shot...Non-Corrosive?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clear Shot...Non-Corrosive?

Old 09-12-2003, 03:48 PM

Default Clear Shot...Non-Corrosive?

Does anyone know if this stuff is truly non-corrosive? Goex literature says it is, but what are your experiences? My gun shoots better after I have run a fouling shot through it, so this would be ideal if my barrel won' t rust over the muzzleloader season. Fire a fouling shot, then load it and not worry about cleaning it for a couple weeks. What do you think? As it is right now, I clean it after every hunt which can get a little tiresome after a long day in the woods.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Clear Shot...Non-Corrosive?

You can believe what you want, but if it were me, and I fired a fouling shot, the gun would be cleaned that night. I did not like Clear Shot it seemed underpowered to me. I have shot some Clean Shot which I think is now American Powder Company (correct me if I am wrong) and I have found that to shoot real well. Also it is so easy to clean the rifle afterward.

I just think if you left that foul shot in it, and a load in it, you might end up with a rusted rifle. Good luck with it. Pyrodex and plain old black powder are my favorite thing to shoot.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

I' m with cayugad...................Clear shot is worthless - very weak. And doesn' t clean up any easier than Pyrodex either.

The CleanShot does shooter cleaner than any other powder, but can go bad quickly.......watch that moisture!!

777 is really the way to go. I fired off about 40 shots today with it..........3 patches at the house & no more residue in the bore.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:09 AM
Typical Buck

I' m definitely using 777 this season because of the power issue with other " non-corrosive substitutes" . My Renegade does OK without a fouling shot, but I have always wondered what guys did. If you unload your gun and clean it every night after a hunt, do you worry about spooking game if you have to fire a fouling shot from camp before reloading in the morning? I try to not hunt right from the tent, but I am usually in the area of camp. Helps locate elk in the morning if you can hear them at night from the tent. They send me subliminal messages that lead to high levels of motivation in the morning.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:45 AM

I suspect that the truly non-corrosive thing is B.S. I went to the Goex site and emailed some of their distributers about this and also emailed some of their technical staff. No response as of yet. Sometimes silence gives you the answer.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slee

Powders will eventually corrode your barrel & action even if the label reads Cleanshot or American Pioneer. Their powders stipulate " no sulfur corrosion" will occur.

I have never needed a fouling shot in several bp rifles I' ve owned or do own. When you are about to place your rifle in a transport case or you' re at the range, run a wet 70% or higher isoprophyl alcohol patch down the barrel -- turn it over & run it again. Then take a dry patch down the chute -- turn it over & run it down again. You may need one more dry patch -- then shoot your first shot & memorize the hit on the target.

Don' t swab the barrel at this point. I then use a Powerbelt bullet for my 2nd shot. I shoot it -- then memorize the impact. Powerbelts make great 2nd shot bullets because they load easy when that big buck gets back up after being shot. It takes much longer to sight-in this way of two shot groupings, but it sure helps when you' re hunting.

Scaring-off game you are hunting by shooting a fouling shot before you stomp in the woods is not real smart. Doing it elsewhere won' t hurt, but having a fouled-shot barrel for an entire day or weekend breeds corrosion in a damp place where I live (Michigan) & is not really necessary. Take the necessary time to alcohol your bore dry after every 2nd shot to ensure better readings on your target. Just keep your nipple picks handy & your patch-puller with patch ready to remove excess fouling from the face of your breechplug or closed breech. With my 777 powder, I usually do that after every 4th shot.

Use more time at the range to shoot your rifle just like you would sitting in your deer blind. That includes shooting your rifle as much as possible without sand bags & rifle stands.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:46 AM
Typical Buck

Triple Se7en,
That' s good advice. Never tried the alcohol swab. I just usually put a good coating of Bore Butter in the barrel after cleaning, then snap 3 or 4 caps to make sure everything is clear to go before I load it. The last time I was at the range, I pretty much followed your advice. I' d shoot the first shot on a clean barrel, then fire off a 2nd and 3rd shot. Then, I' d clean the barrel again. Really not much difference between them, but the first was usually the best. I tried a 405gr Power Belt from a clean barrel, and it was the same at 30 yards as my 385gr Maxi. My next trip to the range will include noting where each shot from a clean barrel prints. Then, I' ll note where a follow up shot prints, paying particular attention to the Power Belt. I really like them, but they are a bit pricey to shoot very much. My elk season is only 3 more weeks away, so I' ve got to get back for some finalization soon. I' d be ready to go now though, I think. My only concern is that it was 92 degrees when I was last at the range, and it will be in the low 50s when I hunt. I hope the barrel wasn' t getting too hot for a good patterning session. That 777 was warming things up for me and my shoulder for sure.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:34 AM

Interesting stuff. My gun is overbore to be certain. The first bullet goes down the tube real easy and at the range the point of impact has been off by as much as 9 inches on a couple occasions. After that first shot, the gun then shoots great. Prints good consistent patterns. I have tried mumerous bullet combinations and they all have the similar effect in my gun. I can count on the first one to be a flier then I am good to go. I' ll take that dirty bore gun in the woods with me rust be damned. At least I know for certain where it hits.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ran a test with Clear Shot when it first came out. I fired 10 rounds of full-charge loads in an old .45 rifle I have that is not worth much, then set the thing in a corner of the room and let it sit uncleaned for two weeks here in humid Central PA.

At the end of the two weeks, I cleaned it. There were absolutely no signs of rust or corrosion in the bore or on the exterior surfaces of the lock, barrel breech, hammer, bolster, nipple, etc. I decided it is plenty non-corrosive enough - maybe not as good as smokeless, but better than any other BP substitute. I disagree that it is no easier to clean up after than Pyrodex - it washes out as easily as Clean Shot or T7. However, as indicated above, it is virtually worthless as a hunting propellant, because it is very weak. For example, I used a charge of 120 grains of it (FFg) in a .50 RB rifle using a .495" ball and .010" patch, and the MV was just over 1300 FPS. I switched to the same charge of Goex FFg BP, and the velocity was 2100 FPS with the same patch and ball.

It is even worse with conicals, giving 1200 FPS with a charge by volume which produces 1750 FPS if using Pyrodex RS. I still have some of this powder, and probably will have it forever, because it is only good for blanks for reenactments, where all you need is a bang and a puff of smoke.

If GOEX ever starts making it again, hopefully they will change the formula enough to give some power!!